Hold Me, Thrill Me

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 45 Replies latest jw friends

• quest81
    quest81

HMTM: Welcome.

Out of curiosity, have you read "Crisis of Conscience" and(or) "In Search of Christian Freedom"?

• apostrate
    apostrate

Perhaps I am wrong, but it just seems to me that the vast majority of people who post on this site leave the WT, not for doctrinal reasons, but because they realized (myself included) that the WT is just a big scam. Who really cares if God's name is Jehovah or Jesus or Fred or Biff??? (Even the WT admits that it doesn't pronounce his name correctly).

The WT is just like a pimp who scares its people into going into the street work, peddling books and magazines at their own expense. And they are threatened with death if they don't! The WT scam is no different than the Nigerian Prince scam. They steal your money and your life.

Anyone who leaves the WT over doctrinal differences can simply go out and join a different religion that is more in line with their views. And it is as simple as that. No need for bitterness, no need for counseling.

There are still many people who inside disagree with WT doctrine, and those who see through it for the scam that it is, but who continue with the organization for various reasons. Some because of family, some who just feel comfortable with it, like an old worn shirt.

Personally, I am over the bitterness part, at least as much as possible. Now I just look at it in an analytical way.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Apostrate I wish it were as simple as you say. I left for doctrinal reasons and I haven't seen the family I grew up with and the parents that I love in a very long time because of it. Parents will not be around forever. Someday it will be too late, they will be gone. This current chasm caused by their religion is sick...it takes away our chance to be a family and my kids don't know their grandparents.
  • apostrate
    apostrate

Faye,

I did start out by saying, "Perhaps I am wrong", and you do make a very valid point. Even if the number of JW's who leave for doctrinal reasons is relatively small, they face the same backlash and consequences as ones leaving for more "sinister" reasons. I didn't take that aspect into account when I wrote what I did.

I'm speculating again here, but, eventually even those who leave for doctrinal reasons soon realize what a farce the whole organization is as a result of their shunning policies.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Those who leave for doctrinal reasons know the religion is a farce and a scam just as much as others who leave.

thanks Apostrate. I'm glad you are over your bitterness. I do not feel any bitterness to individual people, in fact I love most of the witnesses I have known very much. But I am very bitter toward the organization itself and those at the top who make and perpetuate their policies and deceptions.

• cofty
    cofty
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Someone asked if I have read Crisis of Conscience yes I have. It was a hard read to be sure. Woke me up to the fact that my religion was not the garden of Eden I had been taught it was. Like Adam and Eve my eyes were opened. Not a bad thing.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Thank you for your comments! You are an interesting newcomer, because you say you are still a believer. In the jw org or God? I'm a believer too, just not in the GB or many of their tenets anymore. If you want to move on with your life, I would suggest researching doctrine from other viewpoints. This brought me to a place of contentment. If you are happy being a JW for now, stay. Try to spread some good by being kind to those who are suffering from the judgmentalism and pressure.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

FayeDunaway,

I believe in God but I do not believe the Governing Body is directed by God in all that they do. I remain in my religion for two reasons. First, I'm not a trinitarian and I believe the basics taught in my religion are scriptural. Second, no religion (or religious leadership) is free from flaw or sinful practices. It's just the way it is.

I follow Christ within the JW religious tradition. I believe many Christians do the same in their own faiths.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Well, I made some arguments and encouragements for research on the trinity above. Not so eloquent but I hope you do look into it some more.

From what I've seen, witnesses are the only religion that never frankly apologizes for its mistakes. I read a lot about religion, and they all apologize. Even the Catholic Church apologizes. For JW's to call Christendom pompous really takes the cake.

No, none of them are perfect, but most are less flawed than the witnesses, seriously, and a lot less self aggrandizing. You're going to do what you want to do. It would be good tho to keep an open mind on this as you go through the next few years. Keep your eyes open. Talk to people in other churches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit