Things that are stigmatized -- should they be?

by mankkeli 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I've been thinking about how stigmas affect perception, which generally affects policymaking and social rules. How stigmatized should some things be? Here's a list:

-Atheism
    -Homosexuality
    -Marijuana
    -Smoking
    -Gun ownership
    -Mormonism
    -Sex
    -Fetishes
    -Tattoos
    -Mental illness

Stigmas and negative perceptions of things serve the psychological purpose of keeping us out of harm's way. But a lot of the time things develop stigmas that can lead to negative stereotyping of groups of people. Stereotypes, assumptions and negative perceptions (conscious or otherwise): atheists are negative people, homosexuality is a sin and gays are freaks, weed is bad for you because it makes you high, gun owners are violent, mormons are freaks who go around door to door converting people, people with fetishes are freaks, etc.

The list goes on, list more and maybe we could talk about why things are stigmatized, what level of a stigma is appropriate (for instance smoking is bad for you in the long term, so a negative unconscious feeling about smoking can be a good thing).

• BroMac
    BroMac

eating crunchy bread and a slurp of red once a year makes one mentally ill

• Shador
    Shador

My opinions (for what they are worth):

-Atheism
    -Should not be stigmatized. I think the stigma attached to this depends on how heavily religious the area is. More liberal areas even glorify this. Is NOT stigmatized in mass media.

-Homosexuality
    - See atheism.

-Marijuana
    -Jury is still out on whether this is all that harmful when used recreationally. Should definately not be stigmatized in regard to medicinal use. Should probably be legalized and regulated.

-Smoking
    -Proven harmful. Should be stigmatized, as a public health measure.

-Gun ownership
    -Should not be stigmatized (personal bias - I own 2 handguns). Currently is stigmatized in almost the direct opposite way of atheism and homosexuality (i.e. liberals don't like it)

-Mormonism
    -ALL cults and high control groups should be stigmatized, as a public (emotional) health measure.

-Sex
    -See homosexuality and atheism.

-Fetishes
    -??? - Should not be public enough to be stigmatized.

-Tattoos
    -Depends largely on quantity, quality, and location. I would personally stigmatize anything on the face, neck and/or hands (maybe even lower arms). Traditional locations on the shoulder, chest, back (not too sure about "tramp stamps", though), and (for the ladies) ankles, are fine by me. ANY tattoos indicating gang affiliation should be heavily stigmatized.

-Mental illness
    -Should not be stigmatized, per se., so much as sympathized with and treated to the extent possible. Where a mental illness can render one violent, there is a certain understandable mild stigma for self-protection.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I personally do not smoke--it is a major health hazard that is easy to prevent by not starting. (I also don't like that it gets into places far removed from the cigarette, dirtying up things that could be 100 meters away from where you are smoking.) It is that it dirties things up in places far away from where you are smoking that is why I am against it, not simply because it is bad for your health or that it wastes your money. Notably, I didn't smoke before becoming a witless because I never saw any point in starting. (Interestingly, it is the same logic that led me to not pious-sneer.)

As for Mormonism, I strongly suggest thoroughly researching both sides of the religion before joining. It can be difficult to leave once you are in, so make sure you really want to do it before. Again, it should be stigmatized only because people spread it to others that do not want it and not simply because it wastes your life and resources.

Most other things should not have stigmas attached. Being gay, being atheist or Muslim, using drugs, and having a tattoo or body piercing only affect those who choose to do such things. Atheism in particular simply means you do not believe in God, or you regularly act as if there was no God. Nothing wrong with that. Sex should be more open, rather than something that is so regulated that there are going to be those who are forced to do without (that, not the sex itself, should be stigmatized and any society or God that is willing to force me to do without the opposite sex should have to bear much shame and guilt, and a moon-high price, for doing so). Owning a gun should be encouraged for those without violent offenses--to defend against violence.

As for mental illness (and physical illness), it should be viewed as a condition. Often, it is the result of bad learning--much like a slow computer or one that puts out rubbish is a result of bad software. Adding shame and guilt, or coercing someone to not think, only adds more rubbish to the rubbish already there--I cannot speed up a computer simply by adding software to coerce the CPU to not let the other rubbish interfere with it (better to simply uninstall the rubbish). Taking drugs is like slowing the computer down even more--again, removing the rubbish is a better answer. Physical illnesses should be cured at the source--shame and guilt only compounds the problem. The shame and guilt should be placed instead on those who interfere with natural cures and insist that drugs that patch the symptoms be the only things allowed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Another Rip Off from Topix..This is the 3rd one I`ve found..

Mankkeli is cutting and pasting other peoples work..

Then starts threads with it..

......................;-)...OUTLAW

OfflineAlkan

• The Pianist
    • Valued Member
    • Bear Mountain, Sedona. Great hike.
    Things that are stigmatized -- should they be?

« on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:42 PM » I've been thinking about how stigmas affect perception, which generally affects policymaking and social rules. How stigmatized should some things be? Here's a list:

-Atheism
    -Homosexuality
    -Marijuana
    -Smoking
    -Gun ownership
    -Mormonism
    -Sex
    -Fetishes
    -Tattoos
    -Mental illness

Stigmas and negative perceptions of things serve the psychological purpose of keeping us out of harm's way. But a lot of the time things develop stigmas that can lead to negative stereotyping of groups of people. Stereotypes, assumptions and negative perceptions (conscious or otherwise): atheists are negative people, homosexuality is a sin and gays are freaks, weed is bad for you because it makes you high, gun owners are violent, mormons are freaks who go around door to door converting people, people with fetishes are freaks, etc.

The list goes on, list more and maybe we could talk about why things are stigmatized, what level of a stigma is appropriate (for instance smoking is bad for you in the long term, so a negative unconscious feeling about smoking can be a good thing). « Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:40:20 PM by Alkan »

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Outlaw, I registered on so many forums with different names.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Outlaw, I registered on so many forums with different names.....Mankkeli

All those Board Names with different writing styles on Topix are yours?..

Unlikely..

Welcome back AliceinWonderland/Spade/Maze/Mankkeli...Ect..ect..ect..

You don`t keep getting caught because of how smart you are..

You keep getting caught because of how smart your not..

.............................. ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit