Landlord???

by TheClarinetist 3 Replies latest jw friends

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Apparently our landlord is coming over tomorrow for to "inspect for cleanliness". There's nothing I can really do, but is that common practice? WTF?

• AGuest
    AGuest

It is common, dear TC (peace to you!), although not usually called that ("for cleanliness")... and actually required in some leases/rental agreements (landlords have a right to protect their property/investment). In the U.S., you must be given at least 24 hours notice (unless there's an emergency - leaking water, gas, electrical problem, bodily harm, etc., in which cases no notice is required). What your landlord considers "clean", however, is subjective. So, I would recommend you start taking photos now... as well as when he arrives (of what he points out).

Please note that such inspection must be conducted "during normal business hours", meaning (for most jurisdictions) 8am to 5pm... Monday through Friday... excluding holidays. You may also be able to decline tomorrow's inspection if the Landlord didn't give you at least 24 hours notice (which does not include weekends); however, you must reschedule at and within a reasonable time (say, 48 to 72 hours).

But, yeah... they can do that. It is their property, after all - you're only renting it and so, unlike your landlord (whose possession is permanent and without restriction for the most part), your "possession" is temporary... and subject to limitations/inspections.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

We've had them come out randomly before (with notice, of course), but the fact that they literally said "for cleanliness" kind of pushes my buttons a little bit. Oh well... Only one thing to do...

• JeffT
    JeffT

What Shelby said.

It could be that they are trying to sell or refinance the property (is it a house or an apartment?) and want to make sure it looks sharp.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit