Hypnotism

by garbonzo 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

As a JW child growing up, I was always taught that Hypnotism was a bad word, even though it's harmless and nothing to do with the occult at all. I found this article about it: g03 7/8

The Bible’s Viewpoint

Is Hypnotism for Christians?

http://pastebin.com/fdCBwDiv It's laughable that they point out that hypnotism has been used in occult settings. It's like saying because a butter knife was used in a murder, we can't use butter knives. Just because something can be used to do something labeled "bad" doesn't mean all of it's uses are "bad".

"One valid concern is that while hypnotized a person may have little control of his behavior." Bull. The person being Hypnotized has complete control over their body. MythBusters did an experiement and found that even while clinically hyptotised, participants would not act or even accept a suggestion that they didn't agree upon before hand. Unless there is some other form of Hypnotism that I am unaware of, but even then, don't throw the good apples in with the bad ones. They pick and choose what they want to put in the article. This only convinces me more that this isn't "the truth."
  • talesin
    talesin

It's ridiculous that they are still selling this rubbish as 'truth' in the 21st century. I talked to my mother about this years ago, when learning self-hypnosis techniques and meditation. She admitted she did the same thing back in the 50's for pain. We had a good chat about it, and her attitide about the legitimacy of hypnosis as a therapeutic technique was more one of acceptance. Too bad all discussions can't hold more logic. (realizing I am opinionated as well, but at least have an open mind *sigh*)

tal

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

What Mythbusters probably didn't keep in mind was that the heart actually controls emotions and motivations; not the brain. If they read the Watchtower (3/1/1971), they'd understand these scientific truths.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Of course the Watchtower demonizes hypnotism.... it might undo the hypnotism they're doing on the dubs.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/149601/1/Mind-Blowing-Article-on-Watchtower-Indoctrination-MUST-READ

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

What Mythbusters probably didn't keep in mind was that the heart actually controls emotions and motivations; not the brain. If they read the Watchtower (3/1/1971), they'd understand these scientific truths.

Actually, that's what my Father thought until just a month or so ago probably because of the WTS. I had to explain it to him and even then I had to do it with WTS literature. :P

• shamus100
    shamus100

You are getting sleepy... SLEEPY....

• still thinking
  • AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Funny this topic is mentioned because at the end of next week I am going on a much needed vacation. One of the shows we are going to see is a comedy hypnotist one, and the one doing the hyponotising is a youth minister.

I would normally NEVER even touch this with a 10 foot pole, and so my girlfriend was shocked when I said, do you want to go to this show? I knew she would, and so I booked the tix.

To be honest, part of me wants to debunk this hyponotizing thing, and the other part wants me to debunk the Societies thoughts about it. So, not only am I going, but I plan on volunteering to be hypnotized.

It actually sounds fun, and I am going to try to be open about it. I told my girlfriend, you better have the camera ready, because I will have to see it, to believe it myself.

Although I have faded out of the "Truth" for about 6 years now, there are some lingering affects. I am hoping this one will be a thing of the past, just like so many others I've discarded.

And really, if I am able to be hyponotized, I will have found a new hobby to delve in to.

Any advice to help me know what to expect or how to prepare...or anything?

(*Note* JW's need not reply)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit