Reference Needed - WT instruction in regard to medical privacy

by donuthole 6 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

I need help with a reference. There was a Watchtower article (or KM?) that talked about how a Christian working for a hospital should act if they found out that another Christian in the congregation had questionable medical treatment (an abortion?). The example was given that they would find it more important to inform the elders than to stick to the medical ethics of patient privacy.

That is my recollection. Are there any sleuths that can provide source?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

In an article titled, “A Time to Speak—When?” the

Watchtower of September 1, 1987, sets forth the official position that even where it means violating existing standards, even an oath of confidentiality—as in the case of a doctor, hospital nurse, lawyer, or other person privy to confidential records or information—a Witness has the responsibility to reveal infractions of the organization’s rules by another member if these involve what are often called “disfellowshiping offenses.”

IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM pg 365

Now you just have to find that magazine...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/124851/1/Old-copy-of-Wathctower-Magazine

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Download the 5 page article here:

Click here to start download from sendspace

Nevada

• donuthole
    donuthole

Thank you very much!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I wonder if this article has ever been provided to the US federal govrnment agency that oversees the HIPPA laws or to whatever agency/ies that are related to bar associations. It seems to me that all jws should legally be excluded from working in legal and medical fields.

• red21
    red21

Must be interesting that the elders fall back on privacy laws regarding conversations with members such as during a judicial hearing or pedophile but then encourage others to break their oaths about stuff they have nothing to do with. I hope a few Dr. offices get sued if this happens for having employees that would divuldge private information!

• Scully
    Scully

HIPPA did not exist in 1987.

I've been told by a JW apologist on a nursing website that the article in question is out of date. Having said that, there have been no clarifications, no New Light™ on the matter, and certainly no retraction on the part of the WTS. Oh yeah, she also insisted that I have "an ax to grind". LMFAO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit