Does God speak through a book?

by Moxy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

The Live Forever book, on pg 47, contains the following line of reasoning:

HAS JEHOVAH GOD given us information about himself? Has he told us what he has done and what he yet purposes to do? A father who loves his children tells them many things. And from what we have seen, Jehovah is indeed a loving father.

How could Jehovah give information to humans living in many parts of the earth and in different periods of time? A fine way would be for him to have a book written and then see to it that it was made available to all.

The Knowledge book, typically, truncates this reasoning to a single statement:

IT IS only reasonable that our Creator would provide a book of instruction and guidance for mankind.
    This always made sense to me. After all, if Jehovah's message to man was given to a particular individual, it would be lost in some degree for future generations. For some reason i never thought the reasoning through to its now obvious conclusion, a book is not the best way for god to communicate with man.

The analogy is made to a human father who 'tells his children many things.' Naturally, we expect a father to tell his children things directly rather than in written form. For one, he has fewer children than god would. And he is normally in direct contact with them. But what if he had an enormous number of children, or his children moved far away, or he wanted to leave a message to his future generations of children. Then maybe, he would write his instructions down, just as god apparently decided to do. Fair enough. It's not the best approach to education but it would be the best he could do under these circumstances.

But its not the best GOD could do! We are told that he is the hearer of prayer, incredibly, able to hear and process the prayers of millions of people in several languages, simultaneously, for no feat is too great for god. So why would he be limited like our human example and need to have the information written down when the flow of communication is going the other way? Why couldnt he communicate with all his children directly and simultaneously the same way, not in words but in pure thought? What an incredible experience that would be. (And im not particularly looking forward to hearing from those of you that think he DOES talk to you this way.) If you were the human father whose children moved far away, and you had the ability of telepathic communication, wouldnt you favor that over writing one letter to all your children?

Of course, i suppose one common theological answer is that we are poor pitiful fallen man, and god cannot lower himself to speak directly with us. Nonsense. he spoke to many people directly according to the bible. We are supposed to be able to speak directly to him by the grace of christ. Why shouldnt it work the other way? Was he incapable of coming up with a method to talk to us directly?

Once the truth is expressed, it is diluted. This is a simple fact of language. Whatever you are trying to express becomes locked in the biases of the language and cultural filters of the person expressing it AND the person reading it. Just the sheer number of people, and the many years of manpower spent by them trying to discern exactly what god meant in any particular passage of the bible should make it obvious that this was not the best choice for a communications medium. For many reasons besides this, the bible cannot be gods message to mankind.

mox

• ISP
    ISP

Fair point Moxy.

What we have to realise is that the WTS and others are having to grapple with the fact that their God shows no interest in them whatsoever...past...present or future. God is completely silent. It breeds the kind of ideology that God speaks through a book etc. Its the best they can come up with.

ISP

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Moxy,

Excellent post, I have wondered these things too. It is remarkable what shlock people are willing to "credit" an All Enlightened Being with, isn't it?

Regards,
    Julie

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Moxy,

That is a really good point that makes perfect sense to me. That would save all the interpretive arguing between religions and also everyone would be perfectly clear on the issues.

Why doesn't god do this? Why is he silent? Of course, i have my opinion that he simply doesn't exist.

Thanks for the ideas.

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• KJV
    KJV

Your post makes one think Moxy! What I never could figure out is at Matthew 10:30, Jesus said "And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered". Why can't God take thirty seconds to talk to me, but He can make time to count the hairs on my head?!?

KJV-of the "V05 shampoo class"

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

I can't wait for the "new scrolls" to be opened....

I remember jw's referring to this "prophesy" when they were cornered and couldn't answer simple questions... "well we'll know when the new scrolls are opened"

God works in mysterious ways huh?

• speechless
    speechless

Maybe God chose the Bible because us humans hadn't figured out the Internet thing yet. Surely it is easier to read than recite. So, really, God took it easy on us!

Whether you believe the Bible to be the word of God is purely a matter of faith. The God of the Bible has always used faith to prove obedience. Like it or not...

And faith simply gets you beyond the mere fact that a God exists (which is quite simple to grasp).

And once you have faith, you've got prayer - a pure medium we can use to access God. Many, including myself, can confirm our prayers are answered and continue to be so...

just my beliefs...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Moxy

Those are good thoughts, fair questions. I would like to add a secondary possibility. It's my theory that god/it has given total freedom, so most theological arguments don't matter. Along w total freedom, he let the universe and the spirits organise it/themselves. If this is true, or close to true, then it would be very unlikely that anybody would hear from the highest being. Spirits immediately above us would interact w us. Practices such as wicca, meditation, controled drug use, mind altering sound tapes are used to quiet/clear the mind so it would be receptive to spirit communication/insight. Communications could come as visions, dreams, hunches.

SS' opinions

• Norm
    Norm
    I can't wait for the "new scrolls" to be opened...

I am not going to wait for them to be opened. I am going to the toilet now where I will open a new scroll, it contains far more wisdom than the entire Bible, particularly after i have used it.

Norm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit