Jobs and Pointy Headed Bosses

by TD 5 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

I often wondered what the exact flaw in human society is that propels those with a talent for bare-knuckled, Marquess of Queensberry be damned office politics over those whose talents lie with the actual "Nuts and bolts" of a project.

But I know it's a phenomenon that almost every single person in a technical field has experienced at one time or another.

When I've had the misfortune of working for an executive who really, truly doesn't understand the field well enough to set reasonable goals, I've tried to be philosophical about it.

When the executive ruthlessly drove the employees to go faster and faster and faster and then screamed obscenites when minor mistakes occurred, I've told myself that although it's unpleasent, it makes you stronger

When the executive fired people who burned out after a couple of years of this, I felt bad, but took it as a lesson.

When the executive fired people when he felt that their creative talent had simply been exhausted, I felt even worse and was just glad it didn't happen to me.

When the executive fired people who simply didn't have a brilliant idea to present him that day, I told myself that they should have known better than to ride with the boss.

Maybe human beings need ruthless, egomaniacal CEO's like this. Maybe most human accomplishments worthy of note had such a person behind them. Who knows?

But I do know this:

When this executive dies, he'll be hailed as a visionary. He'll be given credit for work that he not only didn't do, but did not at any point in his life possess the talent to do. He'll be given credit for the ideas of every single person who bears his shoe-print on their shoulder.

And when you die, few will even know your name.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I've had incompetent bosses, and true-egomaniac-asshole bosses, and favorites-only-and-merit-be-damned bosses. The first kind I can deal with OK, so long as they are fair and I am treated decently. The second? I might be willing to deal with it if I am really, really well paid, otherwise I go find a new job. The third? I go find a new job.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What you are describing sounds like a sociopath. They may have some talent, or they may not, but they are attracted to positions where they can manipulate people and make them as miserable as possible so they can feed off of the anguish they cause. Many organizations like hiring these people into management because they can be adept at driving people and extracting as much as they can out of them in a short a time as possible to enhance the company bottom line. It takes a certain skill to squeeze people so much and still not run afoul of labor codes and do something actionable that will cost the company money.

Fortunately, there are other organizations that have a culture of seeing their people as assets to be cultivated over the long term with loyalty going both ways. An emotionally heathy person would be drawn to this environment, and run like hell from the latter.

sociopath boss

• Scully
    Scully

I work for an institution that has as part of its mission the goal of becoming a "magnet" hospital, one that attracts talented individuals to want to work there.

There have been a lot of changes over the years, in terms of how professionals practice (MDs, RNs and other disciplines) but while our licensing boards stress autonomy and personal responsibility in our practice, the behaviours that are promoted under the terms of creating "magnet" status involve a lot of what I feel is "dumbing down", conformity and following policy and procedure (rather than taking initiative, or looking for creative solutions to problems) and basically keeping your mouth shut when you notice a problem if you don't want to have a target painted on your forehead.

I've heard of team-building "retreats" that must cost an enormous amount of money, where the people who attend are paid to attend, get free meals included in their day, and where ego-stroking is the order of the day. At the same time, units have to run short staffed because the managers will not approve overtime to cover a sick call.

Honestly, I don't get it. I want my hospital to be a place where patients want to come to be cared for because we have a reputation for excellent patient care, not because we got a silly rating for having kumbaya days for the managers and administrative staff.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, yes, and YES! agreed with all ...

kurt - I have read about that book, and it is very true! Most people think 'sociopath' means serial killers, but those are just the ones who act out and get caught. It's an incredibly interesting topic.

scully -- coming soon! the 'new' Canada, with for-profit medicine. It's sad that dedicated health-care professionals like yourself have to watch the days of top-notch care for all slip away ... :(

tal

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I fully expect to be fired from my job after nearly 11 years there. I recently refused to work the hours they were asking of me - >12 hrs per day, 7 days a week. I was "invited" to a meeting with 3 directors over this, but I delayed the inevitable by providing a doctor's letter, which should not have been necessary since the demand to work so many hours and days violates labour legislation. I assume they'll find a way to ease me out shortly.

I really don't care. As a systems administrator, I'm earning less today than I did on a helpdesk 13 years ago. I'm earning less than I did 28 years ago when I was cleaning windows, floors, and toilets part time. There is no opportunity for advancement or continuing education. Now that all my IT certifications have expired I'd have to refinance my home if I wanted to take courses and get myself up to date.

If I have to go back to cleaning windows then so be it.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit