Steve Jobs Profound Thoughts on Death

by mindseye 6 Replies latest jw friends

• mindseye
    mindseye

I was going to post this in the ongoing Steve Jobs threads, but these words were so profound I thought they deserved their own thread. Growing up JW we were taught that we were supposed to live forever. Death was bad. But here, Jobs offers a different view, that death is what motivates us to live an authentic and valuable life. Here are his words:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

That was his Stanford address....he said it was the closest he ever got to a college degree.

• flipper
    flipper

MINDSEYE- Very profound thoughts by Steve Jobs. Like him, I have always had the belief to follow my own intuition and heart and not allowed others opinions to drown out mine. One reason I exited the JW cult. Thanks for posting this ! Good stuff

• unshackled
    unshackled

Thanks for posting that mindseye....powerful words.

Here's his Stanford commencement speech...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

• alias
    alias

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Thanks, Mindseye

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks for pointing this out Mindseye.

They are words I hope to live by...

• MrFreeze

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit