This ironic quote found while researching something

by Anony Mous 5 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

g88 10/8 From Our Readers

Clerical Misconduct

I and my friends were greatly offended by your June 22, 1987, article “Homosexuality and the Clergy.” What is the point of telling others that some clergymen, especially Catholics, are homosexuals? I am sure that the clergy of Jehovah’s Witnesses are not immune from the influence of sexual sin in our society.

I’ll admit that every priest is not a saint. But I’ll bet that the Church has a track record on fidelity to purity and the meaning of sexuality that would surprise many outsiders. As a Catholic, I at times point out errors of other religions. But I do not attack the personal integrity of their ministers. That is bigotry.

L. B., T.O.P., et al

St. Martin de Porres Dominican Community, United States

The point in telling others that some clergymen are immoral is the same point Jesus made in telling certain clergy of his time that they were “like whitewashed tombs that look handsome on the outside, but inside are full of . . . every kind of corruption. In the same way you appear to people from the outside like good honest men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.” (Matthew 23:27, 28, Catholic “Jerusalem Bible”) You are correct that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ elders are not completely immune from the influence of sexual sin. But the few who err are immediately removed from office for such. On the other hand, clerical misconduct in many churches often results only in “transfer” or “treatment” unless it becomes too scandalous. This was recently illustrated in a “New York Times” article of June 12, 1988, about several priests charged with child molestation, one of whom had “been in treatment for 10 years” while still serving in parishes.—ED.

• lostandconfused
    lostandconfused

The Borg can do no wrong

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

LOL @ "But the few who err are immediately removed from office for such."

LOL yeah right. out right lie.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

If it wasn't so sad it'd be funny.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

You are correct that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ elders are not completely immune from the influence of sexual sin. But the few who err are immediately removed from office for such.

Credit goes to Elsewhere

* 1991 Elders manual, p.74, with notes which says: * "Letter should be sent within one week. It is imperative that a letter be sent promptly if the person is or has been a child molestor. If Society determines that a brother could be used again after having been a molestor in the past, they will direct the congregation to destroy previous records." * * * * * * Nevada

• irondork
    irondork

The point in telling others that some clergymen are immoral is the same point Jesus made in telling certain clergy of his time that they were “like whitewashed tombs that look handsome on the outside...

The difference here is that Jesus had the ability to read the hearts of those he was talking about. That not only gave him the right to speak but enabled him to speak with authority on the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit