What is BELIEF ?

by EdenOne 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

You know. This may not be everyone's reason for responding to Eden, but for me it was about trying to reason with him/her. That clearly isn't possible.

we could try just ignoring these posts. One day whatever God or gods they believe in will allow something heinous enough to happen that wakes them up.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jonathan Drake and Viviane,

For the sake of argument, let's assume a monotheistic god akin to the Christian god, minus the whole god-became-man part. Let's call it Spanx, the Almighty. I wonder where do you want to take the discussion from there.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    For the sake of argument, let's assume a monotheistic god akin to the Christian god, minus the whole god-became-man part. Let's call it Spanx, the Almighty. I wonder where do you want to take the discussion from there.

OK. Now define it.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    This may not be everyone's reason for responding to Eden, but for me it was about trying to reason with him/her.

Mine, personally, is the hope that people like Eden can learn and also to serve as an example to others that could potentially fall prey to such bad reasoning, how easy it is to deconstruct and how to spot holes in logic and arguments that could be used to in other ways to negatively influence them.

Basically, to show them a good example of critical thinking and how to apply it.

It's also just good practice.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Ah, the appeal to authority. The last gasp of a failed argument

Not so, I didn't name any authority. Just curious to know as to why your opinion is more credible than that of Mr. Cline. Because you say so? Because you speak in the name of the atheist community? Because if two atheists can't agree on the definition, then confusion starts for a newcomer.

Since you can't seem to grasp the nuances of the terms and how it's applied,

It is you now who pretend to know what I think and what I do and don't understand. I can understand all the nuances, but I'm trying to figure out why your definition is the 'agreed upon definition' and Mr. Cline's definition isn't.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    OK. Now define it.

So, Spanx, the Almighty created the universe, originated life, good and evil. He set evolution in motion and observed life develop, undisturbed. When one life form on earth came to be that had enough intelligence that Spanx felt he could interact with these creatures, he gave them several revelations in form of apparitions, and gave them a moral code of conduct to follow. This moral code was transmitted in the form of oral traditions and metaphorical stories that at a certain point were reduced to writing form and became a revered "holy book". Spanx the Almighty exists in the spiritual realm, we don't know what substance he's made of, but he remains invisible to the human eye. He is powerful and wise beyond human comprehension, and wants humans to live a good life and upon their physical death, he wants humans to join him in the spiritual realm to become part of his spiritual family, for eternity. That's the basic purpose of human life.

The end.

So, now what?

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Not so, I didn't name any authority. Just curious to know as to why your opinion is more credible than that of Mr. Cline. Because you say so?

Oh sweet baby Jesus this is getting ridiculous.

Yes. You did. You describes your source as "official". When pointed out to you that was untrue, you attempted to fall back and question if anyone was more credible. That's an appeal to authority. Twice.

It is you now who pretend to know what I think and what I do and don't understand. I can understand all the nuances, but I'm trying to figure out why your definition is the 'agreed upon definition' and Mr. Cline's definition isn't.

Well, then it's very odd that you keep using the term so incorrectly. Again, are you trolling your own thread?

I don't presume or pretend anything (except when it's role playing/dress up night. Let the reader use discernment on whether that RPG MMO or something... else) because you personally have attempted to conflate different positions into one. Either you are trolling your own thread, deliberately misstating it or you don't understand.

Why in the world would I need to pretend you don't understand something when I can simply quote you and show it (as I've done many times).

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Removed by poster: updated post from Eden made

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So, now what?

So, define it, not tell me a story.

If lack of evidence leads to lack of knowledge, define this god's properties so I can tell whether or not there is evidence for it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

If you posit that every god is a human invention, you may just as well go with this one I just invented.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit