Lighter Subjects

by LoneWolf 6 Replies latest jw friends

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, Folks,

I had a good laugh at Broken Promises' question back on The Uniter - Part 1 (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/216396/1/The-Uniter-Part-1-It-was-sent-with-my-Declaration-of-War) where he asked where I live so that he'll know who it is when some crazy old man goes nuts and instigates a mass killing. T'ain't gonna happen.

Nonetheless, I guess I can understand where he's coming from. I've been posting some pretty heavy stuff, and then again my name LoneWolf ain't exactly a warm, fuzzy type of name, and loners have earned a rough reputation in this day and age. Soooo - I thought I'd speak to that a little.

"LoneWolf" was my CB handle when I was in long-haul trucking. I have over 1,000,000 miles driving those big rigs, and almost all of it was solo. Solitude is rather "strong medicine", and not too many people can handle it for long. However, between being ostracized during my school years due to my faith, living way out in the country with the wilderness as my playground, as well as a few other factors, I got intimately acquainted with solitude. Basically, I was a loner whether I wanted to be or not and became comfortable with it.

However, this does NOT mean that I don't appreciate having friends, and especially those type of friends where a fella can speak about the type of things that are dear to his heart. I am not antisocial in any way. I wrote a poem years ago, and one stanza pretty well sums it up:

"People I like - a few at a time

But not when they're ten feet deep

They tend to ferment when all in a pile

So far from the city I keep."

Sadly, though, much to my regret, I've been forced to cultivate a public persona as being prickly and unpredictable. This was primarily for the purpose of "brushing back" the elders and other knotheads who have no sense of propriety and thereby holding them at bay. I'm afraid that my family would never have survived if I hadn't, and I resent the necessity of it.

But for here and now, I would like to sprinkle some of the things that warm my heart and make life worth living, in with the heavier stuff. They give me peace of mind no matter what trials come my way, and hopefully they might make things easier for others.

They vary from the "commonplace" things like the antics of children, to adventures and/or privileges that no man could hope to be blessed with, to things of nature that are unheard of - and all of them are true. I know, because I was there. I'll mention one small one now. It brings a smile to my face every time I think of it.

One of our grandkids is a little 3 year-old girl by the name of Ruby. She is a tiny little bundle of energy that just doesn't seem to stop, with twinkling eyes and so sharp that nothing seems to get past her. She'll come running in the door with the other grandkids and all of them will throw their arms around my neck, delighted to see me, and that makes my whole day.

Now Ruby is still quite fond of her thumb, which I don't care about one way or another. However, I like to tease her. "Ruby, does that taste good?" Her eyes just sparkle and a great big grin spreads across her face on each side of her thumb, and she gives me an enthusiastic nod.

I continue, "Can I have some too?" Instantly she jerks the thumb out of her mouth and offers it to me, while grinning even bigger. That just cracks me up.

But she upped the ante the other day. Her Daddy and I were having a serious talk when she came pitty-patting out where we were. He picked her up and she snuggled into his neck while sucking on that thumb and looking at me. I couldn't resist.

"Ruby, what does that thumb taste like?" With no hesitation at all, she jerked her thumb out, beamed at me and shot back:

"Chicken!"

I'm still laughing!

So, Folks, I may have a rough reputation in some quarters, and I may walk in areas and deal with subjects that most other people wouldn't, but dang it! I'm still a human being just like everyone else.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Its tastes like chicken.......thats too cute!

I have my one and only grand-daughter aged 2 every saturday and sunday, weve been swimmming today. Like you, I have these amazing little moments with her that brighten my day like nothing else.

By the way, Hi, weve not spoken before, nice to know you (sort of).

Paula

• White Dove
    White Dove

Resenting the necessity of pushing back others because of their nosiness and pushiness is exactly what I feel right now.

But it's necessary to do it for self preservation.

Oh, how precious!

My daughter sucked her thumb for a long time, and it didn't bother me one bit.

I asked her if it was a chocolate thumb or a strawberry thumb.

She answered chocolate sometimes and strawberry other times.

So cute!

Her teeth did straighten perfectly on their own when, at 13 she finally stopped.

It was her thumb, her biz, I thought.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

..."Chicken!"...how cute! My husband is a crusty, old coot too, but our grandkids always make him smile. The two-year old went to him with a banana peeled half-way, and she ate it to that point. She handed it to grandpa with the order, "Put more nana on it!"

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Thanks for your comments!

Sometimes I think that's one of the reasons that children exist, as they seem to act as antidotes to the hardening effects of life for us adults. I am thankful for that.

Hi, yerself, Paula! It's nice to make your acquaintance too!

LOL, White Dove! Ruby's older sister Aulun (that's a Pacific Coast Indian word for abalone) is about 5 and still sucks her thumb too. I've teased her in much the same way, and according to her, the right thumb is chocolate and the left one is strawberry. Sounds like the two kids are related! (Grin)

Yeah, I found that necessity of pushing back both disappointing and distasteful. Having been raised in the woods, I love the peace and beauty of nature and that's really all I want. To have to fight others off was bad enough, but to find that I was actually getting good at it was dismaying. I use these influences, nature, children, and the little freckle-faced girl I married a little over 50 years ago, to counteract it's bad effects. They make life worth living.

I don't mind taking the brunt of things and find satisfaction in it as I figure that's part of my role in life, but without these sources of refreshment to help me recuperate, it would be a mighty rough row to hoe.

Jamiebowers - "Put more nana on it!" The little sweetheart. They are precious, aren't they? Have patience with that "crusty, old coot". He got that way from a life-time of trying to look ahead and somehow meet and deflect the dangers from the ones he loves. You do the best you know how, but there's always the worry that you didn't do enough or missed something that you shouldn't have.

Tom

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hi Tom!

My sister took my nephew swimming last week, hes 6.

He said he need to go pee urgently, so she whispered "Pee in the pool, nobody will know"

He promptly got out of the pool, stood on the side, and peed!

Im still laughing. x

• still thinking
    still thinking

Hey there lonewolf...I have a three and a half year old that loves to use big words...if he doesn't know what they mean...no matter...he will give them a meaning.

His latest one is....expectations...what are they? who knows, but he does them every night after his shower...he gets dried, then hides under his BIG towel...tells me he's going to do his 'expectations' now, and proceeds to play pretend, generally a review of what has happened that day.

Soooo cute...makes me laugh every night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit