"the most peaceable era in human existence"

by metatron 7 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

The above is a phrase taken from an article written by Steven Pinker in the review of this weekends Wall Street Journal. The title is Violence Vanquished and presents the thought that human history has been so loaded with tribal violence in particular, that our current era is "the most peaceable era in human existence".

Battle deaths and murder generally have declined substantially across centuries to the low level they generally are today. I admit I am mystified as to why we don't see much more violence and crime at present, in this ugly economy. I don't understand why we don't see much more suicide amidst financial chaos, yet so it is, thus far.

Contrary to "Witness" wisdom, the article notes, "Believe it or not, the world of the past was much worse."

metatron

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If they have facts and figures, they should be widely publicized. However sadly, journalism is based on sensationalism and death, war, crime etc. is good for their business.

• d
    d

This is good, but it would go against the grain of the witness. LOL

• dgp
    dgp

"the most peaceable era in human existence"

I do get the point that the person who made this stament means "globally". But, if you were to ask this question to Latin Americans, they would think this is in very poor taste.

That said, I think that the real point here is hidden (not intentionally). Whether we live in violent times or not, that violence is not the sign of Armageddon. Things don't happen "according to prophecies". It's about time we understand that earthquakes, or violence, or whatever, do not happen in fulfillment of the way a group of men interpret the Bible, making due reference to the fact that such men derive their personal power from spreading that myth.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Then again, they will say: " whenever they are saying peace and security".

• St George of England
    St George of England

Evidently Steven Pinker hasn't been to a Public Talk of late!

George

• scotoma
    scotoma

I am a real fan of Steven Pinker (Read Blank Slate, How the Mind Works )

Pinker approaches the violence statistics as the number of people killed as a percentage of the population.

Inter-Tribal struggles have been notoriously violent. Imagine a world divided up into neighborhoods of Hutus and Tutsis.

It wasn't unusual for half the men to be wiped out in a single battle. And there were incessant battles.

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

Show something like this to a witness and they immediatly will think of the "cry of peace and security", conversly show them something about some new conflict somewhere and they will go to "wars and report of wars".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit