Is It Love? Or is it Selfishness?

by JamesThomas 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

As Jehovah's Witnesses, we are programmed to believe that what we do is out of love. Love for God, our family and neighbors. This sounds good and it feels good. So we generally didn't question it. However, being free of the Organization and looking back, quite a different story can be seen.

First, it's likely impossible to genuinely love that which threatens to kill you and your babies if you don't -- as Jehovah threatens to. Second, we were filled with a selfish materialistic greed for the perfect body, living in a perfect house, on a perfect hill with a perfect view, etc, etc. Greed is not conducive to real love. But it does make it possible to shun your family and friends if need be in hopes of gaining your precious dreams and desires.

It takes courage to see through it all. Perhaps it even takes the desire to be truly caring and loving.

Congratulations.

j

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Nice points...

• nateb
    nateb

The Watchtower manipulates minds by manipulating language. Only after leaving have I begun to understand the real meaning of words like "love" and "spirituality".

• alias
    alias

First, it's likely impossible to genuinely love that which threatens to kill you if you don't.

Second, we were filled with a selfish materialistic greed for the perfect body, living in a perfect house, on a perfect hill with a perfect view, etc, etc.

It takes courage to see through it all. Perhaps it even takes the desire to be truly caring and loving.

Good points, JT. and yes, it does. (Bonus: Our truly caring and loving doesn't have anything to do with a time slip).

alias

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

love does not exist..... love is a mask for selfishnes.... because even the "loving" things are made for our own enjoyment.

• talesin
    talesin

Perhaps it even takes the desire to be truly caring and loving.

Yes.

cj, I am guessing you don't believe in altruism either, because altruistic acts give us pleasure, and are therefore self-serving (?)

Your comment struck me as very sad, to read such cynicism, and no, I'm not mocking you ((cyberjesus))

t

• carla
    carla

I always feel that shunning is a selfish act as well. The idea that you 'quit mixing' with those who are or could be a 'spiritual danger' is just plain selfish. Jesus gave his life and said no greater love was there than to give ones life for another. Wouldn't a jw then be willing to 'give their life' for a df'd person? shouldn't they be willing to sacrifice their life/spirtual life? They cannot do this when they are so worried about their own butt and do all they can to protect themselves and the org. Shunning is just plain selfishness.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Good to hear from you James. Anything that is done with a reward in mind is selfish. In a material world, which includes animals the name of the game for each species is survival or extinction, so selfishness can be an essential survival tool.

It’s interesting that even ants will sacrifice their own lives for the benefit if the nest, showing their awareness of a cause greater than their individual survival. As humans we call this altruism. For a human too act out of pure love requires surrender of the ego. I have sympathies with the Buddhist approach to this subject.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

"For a human too act out of pure love requires surrender of the ego. I have sympathies with the Buddhist approach to this subject."

Yes, I totally agree. Yet, perhaps before we awaken to the purity of real Love which always dwells within, there can be an ache, a desire to be selflessly caring and loving --though we may not even know what that really means. And though we may not know what it means we may have a strong sense of what it is not; and one thing that can become very clear that love is not is: unquestionably worshipping a deity who will clear the way for our materialistic dreams by killing billions of men women and children...and us along with them if we don't agree and call the whole insane mess the deepest expression of love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit