Another JW acting badly (pedophile, abuser, etc.)....

by skeeter1 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

  • skeeter1

    This is a thread for JWs acting badly....or worse. Seem we get bad JW stories each & every week out of the newspapers! Please feel free to comment on the stories too.

  • skeeter1

    Here's yet another example of the "2 witness rule"! People went to the elders about the crimes, and the elders covered it up using the "2 Jehovah's Witnesses have to admit to have seen the crime" Rule and the "If you bring reproach on Jehovah or make rifts in the congregation or falsely accuse fine outstanding brother Wood, we will have to disfellowship the girl and her family" Rule so as to protect Jehovah (and pedophile elder Wood too).

    Jehovah’s Witness denies sex charges

    By Jane HuntTuesday, September 13, 2011
    9:00 AM

    A Suffolk Jehovah’s Witness accused of sexually assaulting three girls tried to rape one of them while his wife was in hospital having their second child, it has been alleged.

    Paul Wood tried to force himself on the 14-year-old girl at his home in Sudbury and allegedly hit her in the face, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

    As a result of the alleged blow the girl suffered a cut to her face and thought she may have lost consciousness, said Andrew Thompson, prosecuting.

    Three years later in 2000 the girl and another alleged victim told Jehovah’s Witnesses elders in west Suffolk about what Wood had allegedly done to them but it was left to the girls to decide if they wanted to go to the police.

    “It was left very much to these two young people to decide if they wanted the police involved. The decision wasn’t taken by the elders and as the girls didn’t want to go to the police nothing was done in 2000,” said Mr Thompson.

    He said that at the time neither of the girls felt strong enough to take the matter further and thought that once the church elders knew of the allegations Wood would be ostracised and that safeguards would be put in place to stop it happening again.

    Then in 2009 one of Wood’s alleged victims discovered he was taking up a role with Jehovah’s Witnesses in another part of the country that would bring him into contact with young women and decided to go to the police with her allegations.

    Wood, 40, who now lives in Derbyshire, has denied nine offences of indecent assault and one of attempted rape on a girl aged between eight and 14 between 1991 and 1997, two offences of indecent assault on a girl aged 12 to 15 between 1992 and 1996 and six offences of indecent assault and three offences of rape between 1988 and 1996 on a girl aged between 10 and 17.

    Mr Thompson told the court that after Wood appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting the first two alleged victims a third alleged victim contacted the police and made allegations against him after her sister saw a press report of the proceedings.

    During police interviews after his arrest Wood denied all the allegations made against him.

    In a video taped interview played to the court yesterday one of the alleged victims said she had been scared of Wood and described him as a ”bully”.

    The case continues today (Tues).

  • skeeter1

    Murdered by Mother: Double infanticide rocks small Armenian town

    Friday, 09 September 2011 | PDF | Print | E-mail Roza-AloyanArmeniaNow -- The murder of two children by their mother in Ararat at the beginning of this week shocked the public in this small Armenian town, sending shockwaves across the republic.

    Many observers have jumped to conclusions about the religious nature of the double murder that may have looked like a ritual killing. Others consider it to be the result of purely social problems suffered by the family or the woman’s mental disorder.

    One psychologist approached by ArmeniaNow, however, blamed local government officials in charge of women’s and children’s rights for inappropriate attention and failing to prevent the heinous crime.

    On September 6, Roza Aloyan hanged her two sons aged 6 and 4 in the kitchen of her apartment in Ararat, a small industrial town about 40 kilometers northwest of Armenian capital Yerevan with a population of about 20,000.

    After hanging her kids to death, the 34-year-old woman took their bodies and placed them on a bed and then left. She also had left in the room a children’s Bible opened on the page of “Jesus Christ Blesses the Children”.

    Aloyan, who is now under arrest, told police that at first she tried to suffocate her younger son, but the eldest son would hamper her, that’s why she hanged the eldest son first. According to the investigator, “she had managed to convince the children that this was the right thing, some 10 minutes later the kids died, but they remained hanged for about two hours.”

    “One of our elderly neighbors saw her that day at about 11:00 am with her two kids. She was going to the shop where she bought some grapes, in fact after that she hanged her children. They were so good, so smart,” Aloyan’s neighbor who lives in building N65 in the town’s Shahumyan Street and asked not to be named said.

    According to the Prosecutor’s Office statement, Roza Aloyan grew up in an orphanage, as in 1989, when she was only 12, her stepfather, Hakob Tadevosyan, axed her mother to death.

    “Well, we’ve heard that story before. They say that he killed his wife in front of the four children, that’s why the kids had problems. But none of the neighbors ever noticed any disorders with her,” Ararat mayor Abraham Babayan told ArmeniaNow.

    Together with two sisters and one brother Roza Aloyan grew up in the Gavar orphanage. Later her brother got into prison where he committed suicide. Graduating from the Erebuni Medical College Aloyan became a qualified nurse and then got an apartment from the state in the town of Ararat.

    Her neighbors say that after her divorce her ex-husband tried to take the children, but she did not allow him to do so.

    “I wish they were taken. They did not quarrel. I didn’t see myself that he wanted to take them, but recently she was saying that she did not allow her ex-husband to approach the kids, even turned to police on that account. If only police at that moment understood everything and took the kids from away her,” another resident of a nearby building in Ararat, who, too, wished to remain anonymous, told ArmeniaNow.

    Yet another neighbor approached by ArmeniaNow told about how reticent and indifferent to her children Aloyan became in recent months.

    “You know, she has never been too warm. That’s why we did not find it strange that she would not respond to our greetings. But many also noticed that in the recent period her kids would go out in dirty clothes, would spend hours outdoors, or would stay home alone. She did not work, but was always out,” a neighbor who introduced herself only as Varduhi told ArmeniaNow.

    According to the police statement, in the past few years Roza Aloyan was a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses religious organization, but later the organization denied this information, saying that they never had a member with that name.

    Investigators of the Ararat Province’s Prosecutor’s Office who examined Aloyan’s apartment said they had found quite a lot of sectarian literature there. “But at this moment I cannot say what literature that is and what religious organization it belongs to, it is for specialists to clarify,” says investigator Hakobyan.

    “Maternity Foundation” NGO psychologist Anna Badalyan says that orphanage children, especially this woman who had such a difficult childhood, should remain the focus of attention.

    “Had they done proper work, employees of the Department of Women’s and Children’s rights at the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs would perhaps have been able to prevent this horrendous murder,” Badalyan told ArmeniaNow.

    However, at the Ararat provincial administration officials say Aloyan was never registered either with a psychiatrist or a narcologist and there were no suspicions regarding her mental health.

    “Ararat Hospital” Medical Center doctors do not remember Aloyan either. The hospital’s director Araik Sardaryan says, referring to the official register, that only on one occasion, in 2009, the woman turned to the establishment with an insomnia complaint.

    “Doctors referred Aloyan to a neurologist, but she did not consult the doctor eventually. And under the circumstances we could not force her to do so, as it was up to her. As far as I know she also refused to have her children vaccinated,” Sardaryan told ArmeniaNow.

    Article source:

  • erbie

    I remember a couple of CO's here in the UK who I would not have been happy leaving alone with my pet dog - let alone my wife!

    They give you the willies don't they. Well.....they probably would if they had half a chance.

  • skeeter1


    Here is a Jehovah's Witness who the Society's teachings to:

    Rule #1: Turn the other cheek

    Rule #2: Competetive sports are bad.

    Rule #3: Violent games such as football and hockey instigate violent fan behavior and is not a place for any "True Christian."

    Unspoken Rule #4: Be respectful of others during the National Anthem, pledge, etc. While a Christian JW shouldn't salute the flag, they should stand silently with one's hands to the side and face the flag.

    I "bet" someone in the WTS writing department is going to have to write an article. Better write the "dumbed down" one too.



    p.s. I get the willies just reading that post of the mother. Knew a few crazy JW mothers in my congregation, including my own at times! I see where the JWs and Jehovah have alot in common. Both believe it's A-OK to kill your children! (or, at least, beat them in the bathroom with a hairbrush for fidgeting at a two hour long congregational meeting.)


    Cowboys fan who injured Jets fans with stun gun claims self-defense


    Tuesday, September 13th 2011, 9:00 PM

    Larry McKelvey after his release from the Bergen County Correctional Facility Monday night. Aaron Showalter for News Larry McKelvey after his release from the Bergen County Correctional Facility Monday night.

    Shocking Development

    Should stadiums be forced to install metal detectors and upgrade security after the recent string of violence at sporting events?

    Absolutely. As we saw in Leroy McKelvey's example, the current system doesn't work.
    No. Everyone shouldn't have to pay penalties for the mistakes of a few.
    It's not about metal detectors. It's about people respecting each other inside the stadium.

    </form> </form></form>


    A stun-gun-slinging Dallas Cowboys fan busted for zapping three people at MetLife Stadium is defending his actions, saying, "I did what I had to do."

    Larry McKelvey, 59, said he was forced to use his stun gun on belligerent Jets fans who were annoyed that he refused to stand during the national anthem and was talking on his cell phone during a moment of silence.

    "Don't make be out to be a criminal. I was just doing what I had to do to protect myself," McKelvey said after being released on $22,500 bail late Monday from the Bergen County Jail.

    McKelvey's son, Power 105.1 deejay Charlamagne Tha God, claimed his dad's Jehovah's Witness religion forbids standing for the national anthem.

    McKelvey was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and illegal possession of a stun gun.

    Three people were zapped during Sunday's upper deck brawl, but none was seriously injured.

    The melee in section 324 erupted during the Jets' season opener against the Cowboys and raised serious questions over how McKelvey was able to get a stun gun past security at MetLife Stadium.

    Stadium security was ramped up because of terror threats spawned by the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and because former President George W. Bush was at the game. Patdown procedures were enforced at all gates, stadium officials said.

    "He didn't sneak it in. It was right on his hip," McKelvey's son said on his radio show yesterday.

    During his so-called "Donkey of the Day" segment, Charlamagne Tha God gave repudiating "hee haws" to everyone from security to Jets coach Rex Ryan, to the fans his father fought with. Still, he refused to blame his dad.

    "I would never give any man a 'hee haw' for defending himself," said the son, whose real name is Leonard McKelvey. "I'm glad he had his Taser. A higher power absolutely knew there was going to be some jerks in the stands who would assault him."

    A witness told the Daily News, McKelvey was acting "obnoxious," talking on his cell phone during a moment of silence and chatting with friends during "Taps."

    Jets fans setting next to him, including a Marine, told him to shut up and called him a few choice names, said the witness, who requested anonymity. When McKelvey got up to use the rest room, no one moved to let him out.

    "There was a verbal altercation and the guy just pulled out his Taser," the witness said.

    [email protected]

    Read more:

  • Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

    Thanks to the power of the internet and media, the facade the JWs have of being better than the rest will crumble.

    While it is possible that the guy with the beard and the double murder woman were not Jws, or once were, or wanted to be, one thing is obvious.

    The JWs are just like all the other fundemental religions in that they attract some very disturbed people.

    If they get too much bad PR i wonder if they will screen potential victims better?


  • sizemik

    We've all probably encountered the congregation "oddballs" . . . even some who were seriously "unwell" mentally. But in most, if not all of these incidents there seems to be an ugly fusion of mental imbalance combined with Watchtower inspired belief and behaviour dictated by doctrine, that produces such bizzarre and often tragic behaviour. You can't put it down to the "oddball" factor alone . . . much as the JW's would like to.

  • skeeter1

    White collar crime


    September 25, 2011 in City

    Alleged Ponzi scheme in Spokane leaves lives shattered

    Little Loan Shoppe investors are being sued in bankruptcy court
    John Stucke The Spokesman-Review Tags: bankruptcy Doris Nelson Little Loan Shoppe payday loan ponzi scheme Securities and Exchange Commission Jesse Tinsley photo

    Several sport utility vehicles, a sports car and a motor home sit in the driveway of Doris Nelson’s home north of Colbert last week.
    (Full-size photo)(All photos)

    ADVERTISEMENT Create Your Ad in Seconds owned and operated. Get your Ad viewed thousands of times every day by LOCAL viewers. Advertise Here

    Hundreds of investors victimized in an alleged Spokane-based Ponzi scheme are now being sued by bankruptcy officials attempting to unravel the complicated case of Little Loan Shoppe.

    Some investors call it a “salt-in-the-wound” effort to wring money from those who were scammed out of their savings.

    But the bankruptcy trustee pursuing this aptly named “claw-back” litigation said it may be the only way to ensure a fair payout. Cash collected from investors who received any kind of payment from Little Loan Shoppe will be pooled with other recoveries and redistributed equitably.

    The company collapsed into bankruptcy in 2009; the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission alleged in a civil complaint filed this week that founder Doris “Dee” Nelson raised about $135 million from more than 650 investors from 1999 to 2008. About 75 percent of the investors were members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses denomination, court records say.

    About half of those investors didn’t recover their initial investment, although many received interest payments on their investments, according to Bruce Kriegman, bankruptcy trustee. Some investors were able to withdraw their principal investment plus interest before the payday loan business failed. But about 50 investors have not received anything – the hallmark of a Ponzi scheme where early investors are repaid with deposits of new investors.

    The claw-back lawsuits filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Spokane against about 700 investors, affiliated companies and Nelson’s family members have drawn the ire of people who say they have had their retirement nest eggs zeroed out and college savings for children erased. In some instances, families were left destitute.

    “We’ve lost everything and can’t even afford to return home,” said Russell Titmas, who invested his savings while performing missionary work in southern Mexico for the Jehovah’s Witnesses. “Now they want more.”

    Payday loans ‘a good thing’

    Monique Olsen waves a sheaf of legal papers that detail the end of a friendship.

    “How could she?” Olsen said last week, during a stopover in Spokane, of her friend Doris Nelson. “I just want to ask, ‘Why? Why did you steal from us? Why didn’t you tell us you were in trouble?’ ”

    Olsen and her husband, Steve Briscoe, lost several hundred thousand dollars investing with their friend Nelson, the woman federal investigators say orchestrated the Ponzi scheme behind the veil of seemingly profitable payday loan enterprise Little Loan Shoppe.

    Not only did Olsen invest, but she also encouraged her children and a sister to invest in what she was assured was a legitimate business run by her bright and entrepreneurial friend. She even talked her aging parents into safeguarding their money with Little Loan Shoppe and its sunny balance sheets and guaranteed annual returns exceeding 40 percent.

    Dee Nelson was selling phone book advertisements during the summer of 1997 when her own financial problems led her right into opportunity.

    As a single mother of three living in Mission, B.C., on the outskirts of Vancouver, she borrowed money from a short-term lender. She repaid her loan – plus fees.

    She befriended the business owner and soon the two became business partners in a store in the neighboring city of Abbotsford, B.C.

    “The deal kind of fell into her lap, but Dee is a smart woman and was astute enough to know what a good thing it was,” Olsen said.

    One night over drinks with a group of friends from Mission, Nelson talked about how she had taken over the blossoming business. Her business partner had a conflict of interest and had bowed out.

    “Dee needed money because she thought that business was really ready to fly,” Olsen said. “She even considered putting up her house, but worried that if she was wrong, she wouldn’t have anywhere to live.”

    So Olsen and several friends there that night agreed to each chip in a couple thousand dollars. Nelson used the money to open two more payday loan stores in Canada, one in Chilliwack, the other in Maple Ridge.

    “That’s not the kind of business plan a woman can take to the bank and get a loan for,” Olsen said.

    The money soon began to flow and Nelson repaid her friends. They told her to roll their money back into the business.

    In 2001 Dee married Dennis Nelson and the couple moved to Spokane, where they eventually operated four stores along with the three in Canada.

    The business grew in scope and complexity. Apparently, according to federal authorities, much of it was a fraud.

    “It didn’t start out as a bad story,” Olsen said. “It’s just tragic how things have gone.”

    Nelson denies wrongdoing

    The Nelsons say the Securities and Exchange Commission has it all wrong.

    Outside her Colbert home Thursday afternoon, Dee Nelson cried. Her family has been treated unfairly and her business seized, she said.

    She is being sued for money she doesn’t have, including $4.9 million trustee Kriegman is attempting to extract to repay investors. Her family – including husband Dennis and her children – are in financial trouble, too, as Kriegman sues to recover another $780,000 from them.

    Their large home – valued at about $650,000 – is “mortgaged to the hilt,” Dennis Nelson said.

    A Corvette and a Mercedes that were seized by federal officials were leased, not owned, he said.

    “We just feel like everything that’s been said about us is one-sided,” he said. “There’s another side to this story. I hope you get it someday because the legal system in Spokane isn’t giving it.”

    Dee Nelson referred questions about the case to her attorneys, Conrad Lysiak and Carl Oreskovich.

    Lysiak is handling some of the bankruptcy issues. Oreskovich, a noted criminal defense attorney, is advising Nelson on other matters. Oreskovich said Nelson denies any wrongdoing.

    There have been no criminal charges filed against Nelson or others associated with the alleged Ponzi scheme.

    Frank Harrill, supervisory senior resident agent for the Spokane office of the FBI, told The Spokesman-Review this week that a decision to either press criminal charges or close the investigation will be made this fall.

    Olsen, Dee Nelson’s longtime friend, puzzles over how it got so bad so fast.

    At one point in late 2008, when the business neared collapse, Nelson called Olsen’s mother in Canada and pleaded with her to invest another $70,000. She was hesitant, but Nelson pressed.

    Weeks later, all of it was gone.

    “I don’t see Dee as some evil person,” Olsen said, “but how could she do that to my mother? My family?”

    She believes Nelson simply got in too deep, too fast. That perhaps she came to owe too much money to the “wrong kind of people.”

    And before long it was too late to undo the damage.

    Religious leader attracted investors

    For most of his life, Russell Titmas plied his carpentry skills into a modest living. He helped build homes and businesses in New Jersey and raised six children.

    Even as Wall Street pulsed nearby, “I never invested a dime,” he said. He worked with his hands and kept his earnings within reach.

    When he retired a few years back, he answered the call of his religion and moved to southern Mexico. As a Jehovah’s Witnesses missionary, he shared the word of his religion and found community among other missionaries.

    It’s where he met Paul Cooper in 2006, a religious teacher and elder with a reputation as a financial rainmaker.

    The word among the small network of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Mexico was that Cooper owned a spectacular home in Acapulco, funded charitable works and, if you were chosen, would share his gift.

    “There was all this positive talk about him,” Titmas recalled.

    So he was thrilled one day when Cooper approached him.

    “I was given the chance to make a dream investment,” Titmas recalled. “He called me a special person … and said I had only a brief window of opportunity to invest.”

    Cooper offered a chance to invest in a “successful” payday loan business in Spokane. Titmas took a few days to make some calls to trusted friends and religious peers.

    “To the person, everyone that I spoke with had positive things to say about (Cooper),” Titmas said. “They were already invested and had good experiences.”

    Titmas wanted the financial security, and saw the investment as an opportunity to offer financial assistance to his faith and enhance its missionary work.

    “That was our dream, to help others,” he said.

    The paperwork detailing his investment and interest payments arrived on cue. He reinvested those interest checks.

    Then in 2008 Titmas received a call from Cooper about another big investment opportunity. Titmas jumped at the chance.

    He had just sold his home in New Jersey for a $100,000 profit.

    “I have no idea where my brains went,” he said, “but I immediately went to the bank, and just like that the money was gone.”

    The claw-back litigation is seeking $80,000 from Titmas, even though he lost a total of about $270,000. “I have $2,000 to my name, and now I’m worried that they’ll try to garnish about 30 percent of my Social Security. That’s all I have,” he said.

    Lawyers involved in the case refer to these scenarios as affinity fraud.

    “People are embarrassed, but the lines of reasoning to make that kind of investment seem to fit for them,” said Ford Elsaesser, a Sandpoint attorney hired by investors who lost money with Little Loan Shoppe.

    Many of Elsaesser’s clients are Jehovah’s Witnesses who invested based on the testimonials offered by religious friends and family. He disagrees with trustee Kriegman that the claw-back litigation is the appropriate means to an equitable distribution.

    “These people are being victimized twice,” he said.

    For his role, Cooper has been sued, too. He had set up his own company that solicited investments for Nelson, skimmed a commission off the top and then wired the remainder to Little Loan Shoppe, according to a court-ordered examination. The trustee seeks more than $2.5 million from him.

    Faith and money are so intertwined in this case that some investors who didn’t want to be identified for this story do not believe Cooper, who no longer holds a leadership position in the Jehovah’s Witnesses, did anything wrong.

    Cash stockpile dwindling

    Kriegman, who was hired as the trustee in April, said he had to file the claw-back lawsuits this summer to meet a rapidly approaching legal deadline.

    The purpose, he said, “is to seek a fair return for all investors.”

    He acknowledged that such lawsuits are upsetting to those who lost large sums. He declined to speculate on how much money might be recovered and eventually distributed.

    Such litigation has gained notoriety in the wake of the vast Bernard Madoff case.

    In that unfolding action, claw-back suits have targeted “net winners” – people who got back their principal investment plus interest.

    In the Little Loan Shoppe case, most of those people are being represented by Seattle attorney Dillon Jackson, who said if Little Loan Shoppe was a Ponzi scheme, his clients weren’t privy and shouldn’t have to surrender their money. He and Elsaesser’s clients – described as “net losers” because they lost most or all of their principal – will attempt to work together to present other options to handling the case.

    The entire endeavor will be expensive in a case that is running short on cash.

    The most recent monthly accounting shows there’s about $1.1 million in cash left from Little Loan Shoppe’s operations. The company is also owed about $8 million in outstanding loans, but accountants for the bankruptcy trustee estimate that about $5 million of those loans are uncollectible.

    The deteriorating balance sheet is alarming in the face of mounting legal fees, said attorney David Gardner, who represents creditors in the case, which includes many of the people who lost money.

    Kriegman, along with accountants and attorneys from Witherspoon Kelley hired to pursue the claw-back litigation, have billed the bankruptcy estate about $450,000.

    A special investigator hired to examine Little Loan Shoppe’s business dealings – because the company’s financial reports were so unreliable – is being paid about $356,000.

    Kriegman has now hired another team of lawyers to draft a reorganization plan – blueprints for sewing shut the bankruptcy and repaying creditors. A deadline for filing the plan has not been set, though Kriegman said his work as trustee on the case has moved quickly with the interests of all creditors in mind.

    He is mindful of the losses and disappointment.

    “I don’t think anyone is happy about any of this,” Kriegman said. “We will try to quickly bring about a fair and equitable situation.”

Share this