The Watchtower, the faithful and discreet slave indeed!

by dgp 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dgp
    dgp

How many of you think that this is true of the Watchtower, as the (self-appointed) Faithful and Discreet Slave?

24 “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. Y OU cannot slave for God and for Riches."

Matthew 6, verse 24. New World Translation.

So, who does the Watchtower slave for?

• dgp
    dgp

By the way, NOT that I am standing up for the Catholic Church, but the Wikipedia has this about St. Francis of Assisi:

It has been argued that no one in history was as dedicated as Francis to imitate the life, and carry out the work, of Christ in Christ’s own way. [ 3 ] This is important in understanding Francis' character and his affinity for the Eucharist and respect for the priests who carried out the sacrament. [ 3 ] He and his followers celebrated and even venerated poverty. Poverty was so central to his character that in his last written work, the Testament, he said that absolute personal and corporate poverty was the essential lifestyle for the members of his order. [ 3 ] He believed that nature itself was the mirror of God. He called all creatures his “brothers” and “sisters,” and even preached to the birds and supposedly persuaded a wolf to stop attacking some locals if they agreed to feed the wolf. In his “Canticle of the Creatures” (“Praises of Creatures” or “Canticle of the Sun”), he mentioned the “Brother Sun” and “Sister Moon,” the wind and water, and “Sister Death.” He referred to his chronic illnesses as his “sisters." His deep sense of brotherhood under God embraced others, and declared that “he considered himself no friend of Christ if he did not cherish those for whom Christ died.” [ 3 ] Francis's visit to Egypt and attempted rapprochement with the Muslim world had far-reaching consequences, long past his own death, since after the fall of the Crusader Kingdom it would be the Franciscans, of all Catholics, who would be allowed to stay on in the Holy Land and be recognized as "Custodians of the Holy Land" on behalf of Christianity.

St. Francis was declared a serious risk for the Catholic Church because of his ideas about poverty. He was, actually, "swallowed" by the Church, and then his friars were changed into something he didn't create. Any similarities? Is there any Francis of Assisi within the Watchtower?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, dgp:

I'm a great admirer of St. Francis.

He declared that true joy comes from humility and service to one's fellowman. I saw a movie recently entitled The Flowers of Saint Francis. It's in Italian and highly regarded. A shame that the simplicity and reverence he demonstrated in his life cannot be deemed a worthy example by JWs. No one else - no holy man or woman - has any viability or credence before the so-called FDS.

Thank you,

CoCo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042477/

• still thinking
    still thinking

24 “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. Y OU cannot slave for God and for Riches."

This applies to them very well...choose WHO you want to serve....the governing body....or God. Slaving for the GB is just slaving for riches...not for you..but for them! And you no longer listen to God...you will listen to them...they usurp Gods authority.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Who is the FDS?

What is the Governing Body's relationship to the FDS?

What are the GB's responsibilities to the FDS?

http://www.jwstudies.com/org_chart.pdf

http://www.jwstudies.com/FDS_and_its_GB.pdf

What is the organisation's Religious Worldwide Order, whose members sign a Vow of Obedience and Poverty?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/march5/12.25.html

Doug

• still thinking
    still thinking

Doug...you have some really interesting information there...thanks

• wobble
    wobble

I wonder if the court case in Australia, initiated by Mr. Unthank, will force them to answer some of Dougs points, who exactly will defend the "FDS" in Court?

Whoever does so will have to identify whom (named individuals) they represent surely ?.

• dgp
    dgp

CoCo, St. Francis puts to shame many people, most Catholics included as well.

I would like to make it clear that I know the rank and file witness is basically a good person. I am talking, as some of the posters correctly pointed out, about the Governing Body and their cronies. As is the case with some priests, they may not own property, but they live a life of privilege. Would they give that up?

I have always liked his prayer. I was taught to make it mine. I'm not religious anymore, but I still find it great.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
    where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    when there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.
    Grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood, as to understand,
    to be loved as to love;
    for it is in giving that we receive,
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

• compound complex
    compound complex

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Reinhold Niebuhr

Thanks, dgp, for posting St. Francis' prayer. I used to recite it and appreciate the reminder.

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit