feds vs. states, medical marijuana

by peaceloveharmony 6 Replies latest social physical

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2002/02/13/pot/index.html

Feds bust S.F. pot club

By Margie Mason

Feb. 13, 2002 | San Francisco --

In the latest tussle between local and federal officials over medical marijuana, the head of the Drug Enforcement Agency was jeered by city leaders hours after his agents raided a club that provides pot to sick people.

DEA Administrator Asa Hutchinson was denounced Tuesday while delivering a speech at the Commonwealth Club of California. Audience members shouted "Liar!" when he said "science has told us so far there is no medical benefit for smoking marijuana."

Demonstrators outside blew kazoos and chanted "Go away D-E-A" while the smell of marijuana wafted through the air.

Earlier, federal agents seized more than 600 pot plants from the Harm Reduction Center and arrested the group's executive director. Three other men also were arrested.

The raid coincided with President Bush's announcement of a stepped-up war on drugs, with a goal of cutting drug abuse by 25 percent in five years, in part through improved law enforcement.

California, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Maine, Oregon and Washington state allow the infirm to receive, possess, grow or smoke marijuana for medical purposes without fear of state prosecution.

However, the U.S. Supreme Court said last year it is illegal to distribute marijuana for medical reasons.

During the raid, the Harm Reduction Center's executive director, Richard Watts, was arrested and two other men were charged with growing more than 100 pot plants. In a separate case, a fourth man was charged with growing more than 1,000 marijuana plants.

"They all are connected with marijuana smuggling," DEA spokesman Richard Meyer said. "We've said all along the cultivation and distribution of marijuana is illegal regardless of state or local law."

The center serves about 200 patients a day, all with doctors' recommendations to get the drug. Many suffer chronic pain from AIDS and cancer, said David Witty, the marijuana club's chief of security.

San Francisco District Attorney Terence Hallinan has been outspoken in his support of such clubs, and Police Chief Fred Lau has said his officers wouldn't take part in any raids. City leaders declared San Francisco a sanctuary for medical cannabis use last year.

"This is a decision to be made by the voters of California and the people of the city and county of San Francisco," Hallinan said through a bullhorn outside the building where Hutchinson spoke.

Board of Supervisors President Tom Ammiano went one step further, calling the DEA an "obnoxious, grandstanding" agency. "I don't want somebody in my house that's not invited!" Ammiano shouted.

In his speech, Hutchinson said "science has told us so far there is no medical benefit for smoking marijuana." He also defended the arrests, saying "We have to enforce the law."

Tuesday's raid is just one in a series of recent federal crackdowns in California. Agents shut down a West Hollywood cannabis club in October. Other federal actions include raiding a Ventura County garden operated by patients, and seizure of medical records from a Northern California doctor who is a prominent medical marijuana proponent.

Associated Press

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

the fed gov't really needs to wake up. the people are saying "LEGALIZE IT" and they are just ignoring us all.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I caught this article in the news also. I did a bit of reading on some websites dedicated to the topic of legalization of drugs and it is amazing how much public opinion is against the stupid war on drugs but the political leaders just ignore this. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people who have been impriosoned in this country because of either using drugs or growing pot and the majority of people want a more educational and treatment oriented approach to solving the problem instead of the punitive and harsh system we now have.

I don't think this will happen anytime soon though as the conservative christian power elite has too much influence and sees drugs as absolutely evil and something people have no control over and that everyone will become addicts. The government has its own agenda for continuing the failed war in justifying the billions of dollars they spend on prisons, the enforcement budget, back room political deals and much more. The war on drugs serves their interest much too well to even let sick people benefit from pot.

The sad part is that the way things are done, is that kids will get drugs anyway and do far more damage to themselves by being in the illicit drug culture and taking risks on getting their lives ruined just because of politics.

Skipper

• conflicted
    conflicted

Hi Harmony, it's been a while how are you?

It's sad isn't it? One official says it's ok - the other one arrests you. One group says all you need is a 'scrip and it's all good, but the other group is waiting outside the door with cuffs.

Kind of reminds me of something.... 'blood is ok, no it's not, yes it is', 'the end will come in '75, no it won't, yes it will, we never said that'.

It seems to me that when a bunch of old guys get together to make rules all logic goes out the window. Maybe it has something to do with the geriatric brain. Alone it's ok, but get a bunch of them in a confined space and they regress to a state of jello.

--------------------------------------
    life is the opportunity for art

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As far as I can tell, pot is a lot like alcohol - only without the bad side affects (belligerents, nausea, vomiting, hangover). [Ahem] of course I wouldn't know that from *personal* experience.

<x ><

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Hello harmony. Well I think it sucks! People should be allowed to put whatever they want into their bodies, but they shouldn't wine, bitch, or complain if they get any disease because of it. That is why I not infavor of all these all the tobacco lawsuits.

Any-who, harmony I hope to have a smoke with you soon!
    *puff, puff*

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

LOL Was there any smoke coming out of those Kazoos????

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit