Have you ever read this before?

by TimothyT 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Here is a verse in the bible that I have NEVER read before:

38 John said to Jesus, “Teacher, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he wasn’t in our group.” 39 “Don’t stop him!” Jesus said. “No one who performs a miracle in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. 40 Anyone who is not against us is for us. 41 If anyone gives you even a cup of water because you belong to the Messiah, I tell you the truth, that person will surely be rewarded. (Mark 9:38-41)

This reminded me of all those times on the ministry etc, when brothers and sisters would look at other Christians who were clearly trying their best to serve Jesus, and would sneer at them and say that they didnt have the truth thus were wasting their time. If only I had known this scripture at the time! Naturaly this scripture hasnt been quoted in a WT publication for about 48 years... are you surprised?

For those of us here now who are still trying our best to follow Jesus, well done to you! Keep it up! I get the feeling Jesus appreciates it.

Timmy

• Jackals
    Jackals

It makes perfect sense doesn't it, why would Jesus feel strongly against people who are doing their best to serve him??

Something else I find interesting is that in Matthew 12:30-31 he says " Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me."

And yet here he says something quite contradictory in that " Anyone who is not against us is for us."

I thank my boyfriend for bringing that scripture to my attention in the first place ;)

x

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Timothy T,

I hear you loud and clear, I looked all through the " Bible Teach book"

and could not find Acts 1:8 nowhere in that book, maybe I over looked it

but I gleened all through that book, can't find Acts 1;8

like I said before if it's in there, I would love for someone to point it out to me

but I don't think it's in there because, it's not in line with what they teach

about being witnesses for Jehovah

Jesus was given the authority, to tell the apostles to be witnesses of him

it's been over 2,000 years and Jehovah ain't kicked up about it yet

Jehovah has shown no displeasure with Jesus at all.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

There are so many scriptures JW's gloss over for instance...

What about John 17:11,12? NWT
    “Also, I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to you. Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me , in order that they may be one just as we are.When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me ; and I have kept them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled.

The few times this scripture is mentioned in JW lit they skip over this part.

WasBlind points out Acts 1:8 where Jesus said " ...You will be witnesses of me.." at John 17:11,12 Jesus said God gave him his name so why if the bible Students were Christians did they go into the Hebrew scriptures to find a name? Why not something that reflects the authority given Christ over his disciples? Or could this scripture help explain why the name YHWH is not found Matthew - Revelation? Jesus was to be "the way", that's why God said "this is my son listen to him."

Another point I don't get John 17:19 says NWT "And I am sanctifying myself in their behalf, that they also may be sanctified by means of truth."
    Why does Christ sanctify himself (make himself holy, sets himself apart) if this is Jehovah's job? They don't touch this scripture either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit