Compare / Contrast / Analysis

by cptkirk 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

for those of you not familiar with these movies/tv programs - dont bother. there is a very interesting theme that comes full circle here. two programs 20 years apart. cycles. (listen closely to the words on the knight rider clip especially)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8Qls0HnWo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InPoPRfqNWM

• mummatron
    mummatron

Still, puffing my leafs, still with the beats
    Still not loving police

Despite being a Narcotics Officer, Denzel's character thinks he's above the law.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

mum: this is truly one of the greatest movies ever made. i've watched it in detail like a lot of people have, probably a dozen times. if you watch the movie closely, you see denzel started off as a good guy like hoyt. when they goto the drug dealers house that denzel later shoots, first thing he says to denzel is "hoyt reminded him of denzel, same look in his eye, saving the gd world" something like that. denzel replies, "yea that lasted what about an hour?"....the movie shook up a lot of people, especially in the lapd (entire la law enforcement community). they did an hour program on amc, that deals with just how much of an impact this movie had. that's probably on youtube too.

• mummatron
    mummatron

I had no idea that it had such an impact on policing in the US. I'll have a look to see if I can find the amc programme. I went to the cinema to see it with my ex-husband and we watched it together a few times on DVD but I haven't seen it for a few years.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

it's getting off the subject of the cyclical theme running through from knight rider to training day but; one thing i would say when you watch training day again. this time you have to start thinking as soon as the movie starts, about denzel's situation in the movie...it's so much more interesting once you realize the huge predicament denzel is in, when he is given hoyt as a student.

because ofcourse you dont find out until near the very end the first time you watch it. you find out when those mexican gang bangers are going to kill hoyt in the bath tub, and they find out he stopped their little cousin from being raped...that is when you find out. but if you start the movie again, and recognize the russians are out to kill denzel, and how denzel is trying to figure a way out from them executing him....and then you see everything , including how he is dealing with hoyt and head tripping him, it makes the movie 10x more interesting. because you realize what denzel is really doing, he's playing mind games with hoyt the entire time, to see if he can allow him to live.

the whole movie denzel is doing everything he's doing because he's trying to accomplish two things. he's trying to get out of being killed by the russians. (by paying them a large sum of money in trade for his life). and he's trying to head trip hoyt to the nth degree because if he can corrupt hoyt, then he can allow hoyt to live. but if he cant corrupt hoyt, he has no choice but to kill him. (fearing hoyt will turn him in).

you see different angles the more you watch it. really amazing movie.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

That movie was crazy. I actually went opening weekend to see it, and typically I don't go to movies where the potential for ghetto types increases, cuz they'll provide unwanted narration throughout the whole film, and if you say something you might find yourself in the middle of a brawl, or worse, with a hole in your head or torso. At any rate, I lucked out, not that JWs believe in luck or anything, but heck I was at a rated R movie at the time, ya know Mr.Ministerial Servant being a total hypocrite. You should have seen me ducking and trying to look inconspicuous when walking out of the viewing room, and making a b-line to the bathroom.

Anyways that film is crazy, and the whole first half of it you don't realize that Alonzo has an agenda. You go in thinking he's a gritty cop looking to break in an overly idealistic rookie in the mean and often confusing streets of Los Angeles. I remember watching an interview with Snoop Dogg on Crips in California, and he emphasized to the interviewer that he wasn't from LA, but rather he's from Long Beach. However, he acknowledged that to gangbang in LA can be complicated because you might be cool with this set, but this set has beef with this set right down the block, and if you don't be careful with what you're doing, you might get your head blown off of your shoulders. I've never been to LA, and the closest I came out West was to visit relatives I have in Vegas, and Arizona, which in both of the states you'll come across migrants from LA, often bangers either looking for someplace more peaceful, or to set up shop if you catch my drift. So it exposed me to things I had only heard about from where I'm from. That very next year, we were Blood'n and Crippin where I'm from, and sad to say it still exists here, but not as prevalent.

But that film really took crime dramas to a whole new level, similarly to how Scarface, and the Godfather I and II had done it. Fuqua using real bangers, based in real neighborhoods, with the exception of the Latino gang as that's not a real set out there from what I understand. That flick was crazy, and I have to say that, with the exception of Hank Quinlan from A Touch of Evil, the old Orson Welles flick, I don't think I've seen a more ruthless and completely terrifying cop than Alonzo in Training Day. The cop in Boys In the Hood was scary too, the one that pulled over Tre' and put that .45 up to his throat, he was creepy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSLLGgSPRVo

By the way, I thought Alonzo Harris' role was based upon David Mack, and Rafael Perez, and they were linked to Suge Knight and the possible hit on Tupac.

If you're into stories on dirty cops, you might dig this story on Bonecrusher, a prison guard at Corcoran during the infamous gladiator days. For all those people who buy into that pipe dream that prisoners have it too good. Read this, you'll change your tune.

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/ESQ0999-SEP_BONECRUSHER?page=all

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

just for clarity mum (not in the US, in the LA area specifically)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit