Points that annoyed me from last Sunday's WT...

by Silent_Scream 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

Shepherd the Flock of God

Peter encouraged the older men among the first-century Christians to have a godly view of the flock entrusted to them. ( Read 1 Peter 5:1, 2. ) Althoughhewas considered a pillar in the congregation, Peter did not talk condescendingly to the elders. Rather, he admonished them as fellow elders. (Gal. 2:9) With a spirit like Peter’s, the Governing Body today exhorts congregation elders to strive to fulfill the heavy responsibility of shepherding God’s flock.

1) They "humbly" lower themselves to the same level as local elders, but they do so in a spirit like Peter's, one of the apostles. Mock humility?

The apostle wrote that the older men were to ‘shepherd the flock of God in their care.’ It was most important for them to recognize that the flock belongs to Jehovah and Jesus Christ. The elders had to render an account about how they kept watch over God’s sheep. Suppose that a close friend of yours asked you to look after his children while he was away. Would you not take good care of them and feed them? If one child got sick, would you not make sure that he received any needed medical help? Similarly, the elders in the congregation are “to shepherd the congregation of God, which he pur chased with the blood of his own Son.” (Acts 20:28) They keep in mind that each sheep was bought with the precious blood of Christ Jesus. Being accountable, the elders feed, protect, and care for the flock.

2) Convenient how GB can always apply this to local elders, and remind them they are not "masters" over their brothers faith, but I have yet to see it in print where they apply it to themselves, and if they did, acted uopn it as though they understood it.

Para. 8 Likewise, elders direct the flock to the congregation, encouraging regular meeting attendance so that the flock can be well-fed and receive “their food at the proper time.” (Matt. 24:45)

3) This one sentence has too points I laughed at. One that first came to mind about "proper time" is that if we have a question about anything, we are told to wait on Jehovah. So if an obvious Bible truth comes as "new light" over some previous nonsense 6 years later, and thats a big "if", then how is that the proper time? What's their definition of "proper time"?

When you are sick, what kind of doctor do you prefer? One who spends little time listening to you and then quickly prescribes medication so as to be free to see the next patient? Or would you rather consult a doctor who hears you out, explains what might be wrong with you, and outlines possible treatments? 4) ... Or don't kno you nor your circumstances but has counsel and an article ready for what your going through?

Shun Dishonest Gain —Shepherd the Flock Eagerly

Peter also encouraged elders to shepherd the flock, “neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly.” The work of the elders takes up a considerable amount of time, yet they do not expect any financial compensation. Peter saw the need to warn his fellow older men about the danger of shepherding the flock out of “love of dishonest gain.” That danger is evident in the life of luxury led by religious leaders of “Babylon the Great” while many people are forced to lead a life of poverty. (Rev. 18:2, 3) The elders today have good reason to be on guard against any tendency in that direction.

5) LOL! Too easy!

Not Lording It Over the Flock but Being Examples

17 As we have discussed, the elders should keep in mind that the flock they are shepherding is God’s, not their own. They are careful not ‘to lord it over those who are God’s inheritance.' ( Read 1 Peter 5:3. ) At times, Jesus’ apostles reached out with the wrong motive. Like those who were ruling the nations, they wanted to have a prominent position.- Read Mark 10:42-45.

Today, brothers who are “reaching out for an office of overseer” dowell to examine themselves as to why they are reaching out. (1 Tim. 3:1) Those who are now elders may want to ask themselves franklywhether they have a desire for authority or prominence as some of the apostles did. If the apostles had difficulty in this area, then elders can appreciate that they need to work hard to avoid any worldly tendency to enjoy having authority over others.

6) They keep throwing me alley-oops! Local elders have the CO to answer to, and all the way up the ladder. But who can regulate on the GB? Other GB members? If the apostles needed Jesus to correct them, the APOSTLES!, as a group, could not also the entire GB do the same thing? NO! Only local elders. Back to point #1.

My first post. I apologize for the shoddy presentation.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I wasn't there, so I didn't find it the slightest bit annoying at all.

The sun was shining, the fish were biting and all said and done, it was a very nice day.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• Perry
    Perry

All christian cults need to establish some sort of authority for the guys at the top. The Catholic faithful come right out and say that the Pope occupies the chair of Peter and is a substitute for Christ. The GB just goes about it in a roundabout way.... but its the same thing.

Christianity survived without an earthly organization even though the full might of heathen Rome and later, the Papal death machine were hurled at it. Untold millions were killed for their faith in Christ, over faith in an organization. It is a remarkable story of history.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are always doing that. First they mention a few paragraphs about how things used to be done--say, in the first century. This establishes the pattern--something that is supposedly of high quality. Then, they start detailing the organization as if it were the same quality--a blatant logical fallacy. Just because the original congregation was of high quality doesn't mean their counterfeit imitation is.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Shun Dishonest Gain —Shepherd the Flock Eagerly 14

Peter also encouraged elders to shepherd the flock, “neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly.” The work of the elders takes up a considerable amount of time, yet they do not expect any financial compensation. Peter saw the need to warn his fellow older men about the danger of shepherding the flock out of “love of dishonest gain.” That danger is evident in the life of luxury led by religious leaders of “Babylon the Great” while many people are forced to lead a life of poverty. (Rev. 18:2, 3) The elders today have good reason to be on guard against any tendency in that direction.

Silent_Scream

I thought that was hypocritical at its best. I have never known any religion that has impoverished its member more than Jehovah's Witnesses. The systematic attack on higher education means that many JWs are economically restricted to certain low paying jobs. Opportunities to becoming wealthy are limited.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit