Checklist for False Prophets and Cult members

by Terry 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

It is unkind, premature and even irresponsible to label people with whom we disagree using pejorative names.

For example, labeling a movement as a CULT.

Consider this example:

Sociologists D. Bromley and A. Shupe once described what they called the Tnevnoc Cult. Membership was open only to women, who were required to shave their heads, change their names, and wear specific clothing once they had entered the group. They lived communally so as to protect them from the corrupting influences of the wider world while they focused on their own growing spirituality within the group. They were forbidden from owning personal possessions, and they were given with minimal provisions for comfort. Initiation included ritually marrying the dead founder of their religion.

People were outraged and demanded to know where this group was located. Eventually, the sociologists revealed that Tnevnoc is simply convent spelled backwards. They were describing the traditional lifestyle of a Catholic nun.

A sweep of various writing on the subject of False Prophets and Cult communities yeilds the following distilled list of warning signs:

Checklist for False Prophets and Cult teachers

1. Purposely changing scripture to suit pet doctrines.

2.Predicting things that do not happen and attributing it to God

3.Attributing Christ's authority to itself

4.Quirky obsession with control issues involving personal health, wealth, education and family relationships

5.Behavior control, thought control, emotional control, and information control

6. Elitist delusions as the "only" truth. Superiorty over all others. Disdain for contrary opinion.

7.Central duty consists of constant recruitment goals

8.Constant emphasis on End of the World nearness and preoccupation with world events as "signs".

9.Using family members as snitches, informants and secret spies

The Jehovah's Witnesses are particularly quick to deny they are in any manner to be viewed as cult like. Note the following article:

February 15, 1994 Watchtower

" Would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a religious group with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted as normal social behavior? Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a cult?

Cult members often isolate themselves from family, friends, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses? ...

And they do not live in communes, isolating themselves from relatives and others....

More important, they are engaged in an educational program that has no comparison. ...
    It is clear that Jehovah’s Witnesses are as far from being a cult as Jesus was from being a glutton and a drunkard. "
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

What conclusions are we to draw?

1. The NWT published by the Watchtower inserts the name of their proprietary god Jehovah into the NT where there is no tetragrammaton. They also bend over backward to avoid associating Jesus with divinity.

2.1914 1918 1925....1975 are but a few of the failed predictions for Armageddon that fell flat.

3. The Governing Body of anointed Faithful and Discreet slaves is to be viewed as THE authority without question.

4. Innumerable articles on quack cures, warnings about higher education, and shunning have proliferated throughout the publishing history of this religion.

5.Constant references to the probationary nature of their salvation and the policy of "marking" any errant behavior exerts a rigorous control in Kingdom Halls everywhere.

6. Jehovah's Witnesses don't claim to have "truth", but insist they have "THE Truth" exclusively. From the early years to present times all religon other than themselves are considered the "harlot" and "Satan's false religions".

7. A minum goal of 10 hours for each member is what determines acceptable behavior without exception.

8. No publication, book or discourse has failed to mention "we are living in the Time of the End." This was just as true back 1879 as it is in 2011.

9. Each Jehovah's Witness is charged with personal responsibility for keeping an eye on all members so as to report "impurity" to elders for judiciary action.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

In view of the above, what conclusions can prudently be reached?

Are Jehovah's Witnesses False Prophets and Cult members?

I say an unequivocal YES!

• N.drew
    N.drew

A logical conclusion. Excellent riddle from Bromley and Shupe. I didn't guess it. I didn't try.

I wonder how many times and in how many places the same wonderful argument has

been presented. Nice work, but heart can't hear. Their heart leads them to them, their

heart has to lead them away. My friend (I think I figured out dub, means voice dubed in, right?)

said there were morsels at the Convention this summer that she would not have liked to miss.

So she feels better for a while. She is the only one I found at the door, now I fear she's stuck.

But she is happy. Happy is good. (They have not come for me yet. I do not wonder why).

And Behold! I am not disfellowshipped yet. I have a blog. Worth disfellowshipping for.

They're kind of slow, did you notice?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    (I think I figured out dub, means voice dubed in, right?)

JW.....J Double U.....Double U

Dub..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I recall a politician commenting when people wanted to string up the Moonies, that if the Moonies are a cult, then his sister, the cloistered nun, cut off from all contact with the outside world, was also in a cult. It was said so well that I've always remembered it.

Query:

The FDS/GB tells you to drive your car off the George Washington Bridge and Jesus never discussed driving off bridges. what does a good Witness do?

Jesus says whatever expressly in all gospels. (I can't think of it w/o looking it up). He is clear. The FDS/GB teach the very opposite. What does a good JW do? This Jesus statement can't have a trillion different interpretations. I thought of the command to love one another vs. disfellowshipping. MY q. was answered.

• Terry
    Terry

I'd like to see a banner across the Watchtower: "Yes, we are a cult, but we still have THE TRUTH!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit