What are bad associations?

by N.drew 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• N.drew
    N.drew

I have done my Bible research, I am not half done, but i have enough for now.1 Corinthians 15:33 The word rendered "associations" is homilia, meaning company association intercourse companionship conversation.The word, according to my Bible source, is not repeated anywhere. So I looked up company first. This is what I found.

1 Corinthians 5:9 "I wrote you in an epistle not to company (sunanamignusthai) w/ fornicators. 2 Thess 3:14 he that does not obey this instruction of us by this letter take special note lest to associate (sunanamignusthai) with self in order that he may be ashamed. 1 Corinthians 5:11 I wrote you not to associate (sunanamignusthai) if any brother is called a fornicator or .... Acts 10:28 You know it is unlawful for a Jewish man to fratinize (glue, unite) (kollasthai) or to visit with (approach consent). Romans 15:32 with joy I may come to you by the will of god (theou) to be rested with you (sunanamiginusthai). http://biblos.com/romans/15-32.htm

My point being if "bad associations" really does mean rubbing shoulders with they who are not Jehovah's Witnesses, why homilia and not sunanamiginusthai which would apply much better? And if, as they believe, doing so will spoil thier relationship with God, why is it not clear to the reader what it means?

There are other words "association" is redered. mesos, enopios, sunalizo but not homilia. I haven't even yet cracked it, but see? Or do none see?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Other translations often put this phrase in 1 Cor 15 .33 , as a quotation since it is thought that Paul was quoting the Greek writer Menander. The expression was apparently found in a play "Thais" - often rendered as Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals."

Apparently it was a well known saying of the time.

(BTW I suspect that you would have known that - but your post made me look it up and I found it interesting.)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's all a scam. Being "bad association" is usually used to deter witlesses from doing things that are against the extra rules. You listen to music that isn't "bad" but is right up to the edge, you could be labelled "bad associations" even if you know clearly where the edge is. You don't celebrate Christmas but are willing to look at the lights and enjoy some of the sounds for their own sake, you are labelled "bad associations". You have too much money because you know how to invest (not in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund) or you have a business that takes away from pio-sneering, you are labelled "bad associations".

This keeps people in the center of the organization. They are afraid of doing things not explicitly forbidden because they don't want to be "bad associations".

• N.drew
    N.drew

I hate dead men. "They said", don't you just hate that? If I was dead, I'd be angry

that people were quoting me even though I was wrong. He wasn't quoting Menander.

Is it a joke? Take away the "n" do you get "meander?" Clueless. Men are too, not just women.

"To wander aimlessly and idly without fixed direction" Meander. I did not know that, but now I do.

My gut is screaming 'YOU CAN'T SAY THAT" and I say "to hell with it". I like my

explaination better. http://thebibleismybestfriend.blogspot.com/2011/08/bad-associations.html

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Of course, to a psychotherapist this title question has a whole different meaning.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Our family believes that a bad associate is, on this excelling level:

1) In general; one who has unscriptural practices,

2) lives a double life; religious appearance, yet contrary to the Bible

3) religious hypocrite; knowingly supports hierarchal falsehoods, and misleading elders.

For these reasons and so much more, our family rejects all religious organizations.

We study at home like Jesus disciples, "the truth without hypocrisy"; the Bible not men!

http://revelatoryawakening.wordpress.com/start-true-worship-page-4/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit