Alienation of affection?

by Snoozy 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I wonder if the JW's leaders can be sued when they disfellowship someone in a family and then the family shuns them? After all the JW leaders are the sole cause of a loved one getting the shaft from their family members..right?..

Isn't that what "Alienation of Affection means?"

Just wondering..works for me..

Snoozy

"Alienation of affection"=
    At common law, alienation of affections is a tort action brought by a deserted spouse against a third party alleged to be responsible for the failure of the marriage. The defendant in an alienation of affections suit is typically an adulterous spouse's lover, although family members, counselors and therapists or clergy members who have advised a spouse to seek divorce have also been sued for alienation of affections.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I remember we had a discussion about this on the board a few years ago. It seemed reasonable to me, too, that this action could be charged against the WTS. I think someone here with legal background pooh-poohed the idea. I don't remember, however, on what grounds. It still seemed reasonable to me, especially if a born/raised-in person brought the suit. They had no choice, whereas, an adult making the decision to become a JW would know and understand the consequences of their decision.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

In most US states "alienation of affection" laws have been repealed. As with "no fault divorce", the law treats marriage breakups as contract disputes.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Alienation of affection is not a popular tort action. It seems hokey to most people. Personal injury law at its worst, particularly when your car only tapped another car. It might work. The absolute bar is the First Amendment. Sorry.

I realize the First Amendment bars everything. It must be very frustrating. Maybe outside of the United States. I always saw only the merits of the First Amendment. Since reading these posts, I am now aware of the other side.

• clarity
    clarity

Band on the run, could you post something from the "law books" to show this?

c

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I guess with all tlhe immorality going on today they had to do away with it..the courts would be filled with angry wives/husbands that had been cheated on.

It just sounds so good to use in the case of shunning..

Snoozy

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I am surprised there are not tons of lawsuits from family members (Non JWs) where someone committed suicide etc from shunning. It is sad and cruel expecting family to shun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit