2,611 miles in five days.

by JeffT 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

Just got back from driving my daughter, her significant other, daughter's cat and S.O.'s dog back to grad school in Boulder, CO.

Some observations:

Any collection of human habitations containing more than 500 people includes a MacDonald's and a Chinese restaurant.

Idaho has the most numerous and cleanest rest stops, Wyoming's appear to be the most energy efficient.

Wyoming is seriously big and really empty.

A thunderstorm on the high plains is visible from about 40 miles.

Questions:
    Wyoming is randomly dotted with little collections of industrial equipment, they look like a generator and a couple of 250 gallon hot water heaters. Are these gas wells? There isn't anything anywhere near them that would require water.

Why is the speedometer on my 2004 Kia calibrated all the way up to 140MPH? It cruises nicely at 75, gets a bit skittish at 80 and the only way it is going to exceed 100 is if somebody drops it from sufficient altitude.

I'm tired of driving.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I understand the 'tired' - the miles you covered are just about average for any of the 2 or 3 million OTR truck drivers in our nation for a typical 5 days. Been there - done that.

Imagine doing that same 2600 miles or maybe 4000 EVERY WEEK. Kinda hard to really enjoy the scenery when you are pushing to hit point B, eh?

Rest well. Glad you had a safe trip.

Jeff

• Glander
    Glander

How are your hemorroids?

• moshe
    moshe

I you lose something in Wyoming, the wind will blow it all the way to Nebraska. I did 2800 miles in three days pulling a 5th wheel camper in 2007- California to Indiana. You have my sympathy.

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

Make sure to count the time you spent leaving magazines at the rest stops! There's no such thing as a vacation from loving Jehovah!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Wyoming is randomly dotted with little collections of industrial equipment, they look like a generator and a couple of 250 gallon hot water heaters. Are these gas wells? There isn't anything anywhere near them that would require water.

I read a few years ago that Wyoming's economy is booming due to the mining of clean coal. The operations you saw may be doing just that. Welcome home...glad you returned safely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit