Hungary revokes JW Tax-free status

by Blind Willie McTell 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Willie McTell

http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=14742

On 12 July the governing Fidesz party with their coalition allies the Christian Democrats amended the bill, eliminating the tier system and recognising 14 religious organisations as Churches. Hungary's 348 other faiths and denominations were stripped of their legal status as religious organisations and lost their tax exempt status and entitlements to state subsidies.

The 14 denominations that were allowed to retain their registration were the Roman and Greek Catholic Churches, the Eastern Orthodox Churches, the Lutherans, the Calvinists, select Jewish denominations, the Hungarian Unitarians, the Baptists and the Faith Church.

Among those losing recognition were Hungary's Anglican, Methodist, Pentecostal, Adventist and reform Jewish congregations, the Salvation Army and Jehovah's Witnesses, and Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu groups.

• ziddina
    ziddina

The BAPtists retained their tax-free status????

Well, that's different...

I'm happy that the JWs lost their tax-free status; of course, the Watchtower Society will scream "persecution"... But I hope they remain 'taxable' - tho that's not likely with the battalion of lawyers that they've got...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Salvation Army? Why would they remove their tax-free status?

• ziddina
    ziddina

^^Because they've got so many thrift stores???

• Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Willie McTell

Seems the EU is making pressure for Hungary to repeal the law.

But the JW's do absolutely nothing for their tax-free income, no hospitals, no retirement villages for their old people, nothing. They are a true leech on society and I think they deserve to lose the tax-free rating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit