A Man Pays On a Date.WHAT It Means

by plmkrzy 6 Replies latest social relationships

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

A Man Pays On a Date.WHAT It Means
    By Cathryn Conroy, CompuServe News Editor

When a man pays on a date, the woman will think he is more respectful, kind, polite, and romantically attracted to her. But get this: Men think they show less respect to a woman and themselves when they pick up the tab. Researchers led by (Bill Altermatt) of the University of Michigan-Flint actually studied what he called the "chivalry script" to determine how men and women react today to age-old notions of how a gentleman should treat a lady. Other parts of the chivalry script--pulling out chairs, holding doors, and offering coats--are still held in high regard by both genders.
    Don't mess up on Valentine's Day! Quick! Read this list of Valentine's dos and don'ts.
    Altermatt showed 35 undergraduate college students two videotapes of dates. Both were identical except for one factor: In one date the man paid the bill, while in the other date, they split it 50-50. Men really didn't like it when the man paid in full. Why? Altermatt told Reuters that he speculates men may be more mistrustful than women regarding the motives that drive guys to spring for a meal. "I've got to follow this up with some research to find out," Altermatt said, "but my theory is that because men are the ones (typically) initiating this behavior, they might have--I'd hate to say it--some insight into some of the motivations that might be behind it. Perhaps they are seeing his behavior as a little more strategic." So being chivalrous is apparently both good and bad. "Chivalry is related to both the stereotype that women are more virtuous than men, but also that women are less competent and powerful than men."

[The guy doing the survey, anyone notice his name? [8>]

A dinner out is the perfect Valentine's Day date. Find the most romantic restaurants in your hometown. Click here and the click on "Best Romantic Restaurants" under "Top Spots." Then all you have to figure out is who will pay!

There was suppose to be a link here to clik for hot spots O, Top spots
    I don't know if it will work.

plm

• SYN
    SYN

I'd kill to be a woman. In South Africa if the average guy doesn't pay for everything he gets called cheap! Woman here make men buy them absolutely everything. It's really screwy, but since I grew up with this culture, for me not to pay for an entire date is quite uncomfortable.

It all depends who I'm with. If it's someone I love and want, then I don't mind at all - anything to make them happy. But if a woman is just using her feminine wiles to get me to pay for everything, then she is being a cheapskate, not me. It's been done to me quite a few times, believe you me!

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• JanH
    JanH

One way or another, you gotta pay for it

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• butalbee
    butalbee

I'd rather be the one to pay. But he better be worth it.

• puzzled
    puzzled

Man I must be a real push over. I always seem to get stuck with the wet puppies at my door.

PLMKRZY

• ring
    ring

I dont think I would like a woman paying
    for my dinner.I dont want her thinking I
    "owe" her sex, afterwardj/k

If I asked the woman on the date,
    I feel that it is my responsibilty to pay.
    If she asked me on the date and wanted to pay,
    I think I would marry her.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I don't mind paying my half for a meal, particularly as most men I've known earned less than me, so I felt a bit guilty if they footed the whole bill.

Of course I take it as a compliment if they insist on paying for the whole meal, but I don't take it for granted, nor insist upon it.

I like doing special little things for the people I love anyway, so if a guy did insist on paying for it, I would probably repay him in other ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit