On becoming atheist - the tug of war

by Nickolas 207 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Thank you, Paul. That was a great compliment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well deserved my friend :)

• unshackled
    unshackled

That was a harrowing experience Nickolas. Your actions were heroic.

Quick question: do mind saying where in northern Canada you were...Alberta perhaps? I spent the first two and a half decades of my life north of 60, in the NWT.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It sounds like your Bosnian experience gave you faith, rather than testing what faith you had, Paul.

I was in northern BC, unshackled. I never got to the territories but I plan to, if only for the fishing. But under the circumstances you would have done the same thing, wouldn't you?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

An interesting discussion.

I have read all the posts but have nothing worth contributing.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    I have read all the posts but have nothing worth contributing.

Are you an orator, or a gladiator?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Damn, Nick. You are a helluva neighbor and citizen. Thank you for sharing that story and I can definitely imagine how it would affect one's perspective.

• tec
    tec

I am sorry for your friend, Nick. I hope I have the courage to act on love rather than fear in tough situations, which is what you did... doing what you could to save him, despite any risk to yourself. I failed last time I was presented with a 'tough' situation. I hope and pray to do better.

Thinking along those lines, then I think I understand what you're saying to a point... acting in the face of oblivion. What we think we might do/feel faced with a situation (or death) is not necessarily the same as what we WOULD do/feel when faced with situation (or death). I get this, and I don't think I have ever said that in any given situation, I would do this or that. Because I understand that unless you are IN that situation, you don't really know what you will do.

This isn't the same as believing in an God because you're afraid of death though, unless perhaps it is a deathbed conversion. Because I don't currently fear death for me. (though I fear leaving my children without their mother). So fear of death cannot influence why I believe. Faced with my death, I might learn to fear it... who knows? I suppose I would fear the moment of dying (survival instinct at all)... but not of being dead itself.

No doubt it influences some, as you say. But not all. I KNOW this, because I know me.

Peace,

Tammy

• PaintedToeNail
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

I am sorry for your friend, Nick. ... Because I understand that unless you are IN that situation, you don't really know what you will do.

This may sound odd, Tammy, because I don't know who you are and I have only an impression (a postive one) for the kind of person you are, but I'm pretty sure you would have done exactly the same thing I did. You know it too. As a matter of fact, I think that just about any person on this board would have done exactly the same thing I did. When faced with a bad situation you will do at least the most compassionate thing you can do without putting your own life at undo risk. Trust me. How do you live with yourself otherwise? He wasn't a friend. I just knew him to talk to him. Nice guy. I had no feelings toward him beyond respect, even after he died in my arms. I did not know the man well at all. I just knew he was a good guy.

We got sidetracked. Back to the tug of war. I am not the only one who has felt it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit