On becoming atheist - the tug of war

by Nickolas 207 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Perhaps, if you are a theist, you might not want to read this. If you are nevertheless curious about how an atheist thinks, then please read on.

I don't think there are any active members of this board who have been atheists all their lives (are there?). I think virtually all of us transitioned into non-belief from a religious beginning. Some were born-ins, others drifted in then out, still others who like me never took the plunge but who came ever so close. At one point in our lives we believed in God and a purpose of life.

Perhaps the hardest thing to accept on becoming atheist is the clear realisation that everyone loses his or her place in the sun. Not temporarily. Forever. This an atheist comes to accept on the basis of the evidence of history, the evidence of science and the evidence of his eyes. Contrast this belief with that of a present day Jehovah's Witness. He or she has an expectation that

a) they have a chance at never having to die at all (which would be a really, really good thing), and

b) even if they do die they're going to be resurrected into a perfect, young body and live in peace and harmony on paradise earth forever and ever.

Once you realise that a) just isn't going to happen - no rapture, no post-Armageddon - you're left with a belief that is every bit as irrational. There's another flavour of b) that goes something like, yes, everyone dies in body, but their sprit lives on for all eternity.

Here's were the dichotomy happens. Once you start on the road to atheism and insist on learning about things that are substantiated by evidence and observation it becomes more and more difficult to believe a) or b), or whatever flavour of b). At the same time, you still want to believe at least some variant of b), because it is hard to contemplate that you and your loved ones, beginning at some point in the very near future, will never see one another again. The undeniable fact of the matter is your future awaits. It could be soon, it could be many years away, but next to eternity it is not even a blink of time. You will either die from trauma or disease of some kind or slowly by decrepitation. And then the lights just go out. For a theist, as I once was, it is a frightening thing even to contemplate, let alone make a concerted attempt to understand. But that understanding eventually does come when you finally put aside what you are afraid of.

And then you find peace and you find wonderment in learning about and understanding how the world really works. The truth is far, far more fascinating and enthralling than any of those ancient fables.

• Scully
    Scully

Well, I can say that everyone is born atheist.

To be a theist, a person has to be taught to be one.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You are of course right, scully. The first transition is not voluntary, but you still have to proceed from there. You were a born-in, no?

• talesin
    talesin

@ Scully ---- yes! that is so smart ,,, I'ma gonna stick that one in the file.

@ Nickolas --- although a born-in, I never really believed in G*d, and as a child, mostly parroted what I was 'taught'. And of course, the horror stories of Armaggedon and Malawi, and other persecutions terrified me as a child and before I reached the age of reason. Even so, when I was taught evolution in school, it made more sense to me than the creation myth,,, after rejecting the society's teachings at age 17, it only took a few years for me to return to my 'natural state' -- atheism.

tal

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You got there much sooner than I did, talesin. You are obviously quite bright. (and, yes, I am associating atheism with intelligence. Fire away.)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

But that understanding eventually does come when you finally put aside what you are afraid of.

Indeed. I'm still excited about having been born in the first place, and to have lived at such a wonderful time in human history. I've lived fewer than 40 years but if I killed over today, it has been one heck of a ride. Merely having access to 24-hour drug store with pain medicine is enough to get excited about, taken in the context of the billions who have died (and continue to do do) in extreme pain and poverty.

There has never been a better time to be born or to die, IMHO.

Sure, I want to live forever. I'd also like the ability to fly and to be really good-looking. I'll lower my expectations and carry on.

"I was dead for millions of years before I

was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit."

-- Mark Twain

• sabastious
    sabastious
    For a theist, as I once was, it is a frightening thing even to contemplate, let alone make a concerted attempt to understand. But that understanding eventually does come when you finally put aside what you are afraid of.

It was your choice to become frightened. Theism is used a security blanket for many which is simply choosing to be encouraged by the unknown instead of fearful of it.

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled
    And then you find peace and you find wonderment in learning about and understanding how the world really works. The truth is far, far more fascinating and enthralling than any of those ancient fables.

Great post, Nickolas. Your quote above reminded me of one by Jon Krakauer from his book Under the Banner of Heaven. It was that book about the Mormons that pushed me to truly scrutinize the Watchtower...

"In the absence of conviction, I've come to terms with the fact that uncertainty is an inescapable corollary of life. An abundance of mystery is simply part of the bargain – which doesn't strike me as something to lament. Accepting the essential inscrutability of existence, in any case, is surely preferable to its opposite: capitulating to the tyranny of intransigent belief."

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I can agree with you completely, sab. It was my choice. But if you are encouraged by the unknown to percieve that there just might be something for you after you die, then you haven't confronted the reality yet. Perhaps you do not fear oblivion because you still believe it may not apply to you.

• tec
    tec

Even so, when I was taught evolution in school

Yes, because no one was born believing in evolution either. They had to be taught it. No one was born selfless either. They have to be taught it. No one is born being a humanist. They have to be taught it. I don't mean to be confrontational, but this 'we were all born atheists' is a statement that carries no water.

If you had to be taught to be a theist, then how did the first person ever become one? (Yes, I know the given answers - superstition, lies, but also that we all seek to know God because God is there... we all get to make the choice as to which we believe - neither choice makes a person good or bad, btw)

Nick, you and I know how each other feel, and our morals (I think) are not all that different, despite our difference in matters of faith. I am not afraid to die either - whether I get to live on afterward or not. It is not why I believe, and so it does not 'hold me back' from letting go of my belief. I do understand that it might be a reason for some, but I don't know that fear personally.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit