Can aging be slowed down?

by master chief 6 Replies latest jw friends

• master chief
    master chief

Recently i have been doing some research into the aging process and how to slow it down?i just want to leave you with some questions!! 1.going on a low calorie diet seems to help between 950 and 1500 calories per day. q2.not doing to much work due to higher use of oxygen intake which seems to corrode our internals i think it said something about free radiacals and mitachondrae. q3.hormone therapy haha jus joking.i cant remember the rest right now but if you have any interesting views please share them

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Chief,

It doesn't matter. Why? Because we going to die anyway.

• moman
    moman

Fredie, I thought the NEW SYSTEM was,"just around the corner"?

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hi Master Chief,

I have an interest in life extension and have read extensively about it and want to do some research of my own in the future. I can say now that the evidence is pretty clear that caloric restriction does indeed slow down the aging process but it is quite difficult to do in practice.

The good news though is that scientists believe they have discovered just what genes are effected by the caloric restriction and it may be possible to produce the same effects without giving up pizza and beer. At best though, caloric restriction looks to add approximately about a third in potential life span, and that can easily push people into the century mark with good health.

I do believe though that within ten years, the synergy of methods being researched for life extension will enable us to live about 150 years. That buys us a lot more time to make even more discoveries and applictions.

Sure that is optimistic but it has a lot more going for it than the Watchtower version of life extension.

Skipper

• metatron
    metatron

The good news is that since caloric deprivation is known to
    slow aging, it can be used in DNA microassay tests to find
    new, easier treatments by comparing gene expression in the
    body.

You might want to read up on the newer antioxidants such
    as PBN or NtBHA - the effects on lab mice were quite significant.
    Also, the new crosslink breaker ALT-711 (Alteon Co.).

I'm joining a private group to test the above.

metatron

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Question from a complete anti-aging ignoramus:

Wouldn't slowing aging necessarily mean slowing metabolism? If so, would we end up living very long, tired lives?

Expatbrit

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Expatbrit asked:

Wouldn't slowing aging necessarily mean slowing metabolism? If so, would we end up living very long, tired lives?
    The evidence I've seen actually suggests the individuals have a normal metabolism. Some years back, near Tucson, Arizona the Biosphere II project was the testing ground for caloric restrictive diets. All the participants that tried the diet came out healthy and active but I think I remember that when they had to do more physical labor they needed to eat more.

I've seen some diet plans that try to accomplish the goal of life extension by caloric restriction and they claim that if a person does it very gradually over an extended period of time, that their bodies would adapt to it and they would have normal or above normal energy levels. The reason for that claim is that digestion of our food actually takes about 20% of the body's energy and the less food you digest at any one time, the less demand on your resources and the more energy from the food. I think the plan was to eat many small meals each day, as many as 7 or 8.

Clearly that is a big step away from the normal American diet with three big meals a day.

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit