Demos on the platform versus actual reality in FS

by Alfred 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

We've all seen these demos a million times... perfectly rehearsed mini-dramas at the end of the theocratic school and during the service meetings (usually played by the same "exemplary" publishers and pioneers of the elite congo clique). You know what I'm talking about... the ones where they always speak the right words and cite the "appropriate" proof texts in perfect harmony with borg guidelines. So much so, that new "studies" or visitors who are unfamiliar with these "elite" brothers and sisters are completely awe-struck by their enthusiasm, "spirituality" and eloquence displayed on stage.

But then an inexplicable "phenomena" unfolds every Saturday at 9AM. These exemplary publishers and pioneers who showed so much zeal and biblical knowledge on stage are completely transformed into their "real" character once they start field circus. It's as if they enter some kind of time warp which sets them back 10 or 15 years. They suddenly forget "the script" and go back to the same old feet dragging, magazine placing mode they had all along while hoping that no one will open the door or ask them anything requiring any level of thought or analysis. God forbid they should have to actually use the Bible (like they did on stage 2 nights earlier) or even remember what they said in the last demo they gave so perfectly to impress the elders.

Then again, the same could be said of any demo or drama whether at the KH or at an assembly. What you see on stage is not what you get in reality. In fact, the WT knows all too well that the vast majority of JWs (whom the WT themselves have "dumbed down" over the years) simply don't rise to that level of proficiency in field service (except for a rare few). So it would appear that these demos are yet another mind-control method that the WT employs to ensure that the rank and file continue to feel less than adequate when it comes to their service.

At least this has been my observation over the years in the few congos I attended... looking forward to reading your thoughts on this "phenomena"... please do share... thanks...

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Your observations are accurate. What we see in the scripted sales pep rallies at the conventions and Kingdom Halls are about as realistic as Hogwarts. The majority of the JWs who knock on your door will either be just phoning in a performance, hoping you take the magazines, while others will just mumble through a poorly prepared presentation. The latter part I chalk up to JWs having HORRENDOUS social skills. Few things in life are as painful as having to be the 2nd JW at a door where the JW giving the presentation is absolutely bombing and the householder grows more and more annoyed.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I was very good at impromptu talks and last minute stuffs that I often got picked by elders to help fill in gaps. One particular elder (widely rumored to be a pedophile) asked me to fill in for a demo he worked into his talk at the last minute. Litterally the last minute, he asked for a volunteer from the congregation to play the householder and when nobody raised their hand he told me to come up on stage.

I was a bit annoyed so after he went though his opening spiel I replied that I was Hindu. He had no idea so he said something to the effect of "well you are still familiar with the bible, right?" and I agreed that the bible played a minor part of the vedas (collection of holy writings).

He stared at me while the congregation roared in laughter. Then dismissed me from the platform and played both parts of the demonstration.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Paralipomenon, that was really funny.

I have seen it too often that a presentation on the stage is not the same as actual fs. I remember an elder who gave a polished stage performance only to mess up at the door.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

It's probably good that as a kid in field circus I never laughed or rolled my eyes when a householder said "I am catholic" or some other religion. Because that's exactly what happened at every demo. I guess when your "in the truth" everyone else is a joke.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I have seen it too often that a presentation on the stage is not the same as actual fs.

You would look kind of silly in FS with notes pinned to the front of your Bible!

George

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Paralipomenon, you get a hat-tip for being so awesome.

For the sake of arguement, let's say that the JW faith is the true faith and it is necessary to train JWs to go door to door (I know, I know, just bear with me). What's the use in training them with unrealistic scenerios?

"Good morning, have you ever wondered why God allows suffering?"

"Why yes! I was just sitting here wondering that VERY thing! Come in, come in! Can I donate some money?"

yeah, okay.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "What we see in the scripted sales pep rallies at the conventions and Kingdom Halls are about as realistic as Hogwarts. ..."

Hogwarts!! LOL!!!

Bumpin' the thread....

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Amen everyone. The borg has made it so that the message is to be received with open arms by a population that is rather uneducated and is easily convinced. I've watched it over the years. Look at the people that witnesses study with and bring to the KH. Ex-convicts. Former druggies. People that look like they've just crawled out of a cardboard box in an alley. People that have lived good lives....but are extremely uneducated.......

I think they all have something in common. They all hear a wonderful story about never dying and living in paradise and it is intriguing. They are presented with enough scriptures taken out of context to make them believe it may be true. They never learned critical thinking skills so the odds of them really doing research and learnign the true history of witnesses is nil.

Contrast that with an astute householder that raises important questions. I've seen it time and time again. Hell....it happened to me on occasion. The householder raises good questions that the witness can't answer so the witness wants to change the subject back to something he feels more comfortable about. But the householder insists that his question be answered. So the witness says he will do some research and come back. He then goes to the car and tells the rest of the passengers that this householder was just being obstinate. The householder just wanted to argue. He was not "rightly disposed". The witness never does the research and never calls back. He just keeps searching for that uneducated person that lacks critical thinking skills that will ask only basic questions that can be answered with a modern publication.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The demos bare no resemblance to real life, what so ever.

I used to wish that it was that easy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit