Higher education and the unemployment rate

by onemore 4 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

Now...here is some information (or statistics) that you won't hear at your local KH or assembly program.....

"...people with higher education have weathered the economic downturn and unemployment crisis much better than those without. The unemployment rate for Americans with a bachelor's degree or higher was 4.4 percent in June, much lower than the 8.2 percent average for the general population of workers 25 and older."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/master-degree-bachelor-140616688.html

I just wanted to share....

Best,

Onemore (unomas).

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

JW employment rate can be 100% if they only obey GB and follow their counsel.

"Having plenty to do in the work of the Lord" will keep one busy and employed in the best possible employment one can have in these troubled times. A real and only career that has any future. By putting the Kingdom interests first all else will be provided so why toil for nothing as this world is passing away.......

oh I forgot to add

"The end is oh so close."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually, the more education one has, the more qualified they are to do specialized jobs for which it is hard to find replacements. This tends to hold down unemployment for highly educated people, but is no guarantee. And especially these days, when a new college graduate is finding a hard time finding a job that pays off college debts.

However, we must discount the "employment" from the Washtowel Slaveholdery. I have heard all sorts of comments about their not downsizing, and that they have plenty of openings available. The catch: The pay is zero, the work is stagnating, and you are promoting a scam. Only a few actually get paid: Hounder-hounders and higher get paid a stipend, special pio-sneers get paid an allowance, and people get paid a small (pathetically small, to be honest) allowance to work at Beth Hell.

As for these, they are as likely to cut people. Especially at Beth Hell. There are a wide variety of reasons why you would get thrown out on the streets from Beth Hell. Most common is if you get too old or develop a health condition, and are no longer useful to them. That 30 years right down the drain, and you don't get even a single toilet paper for severance pay. They have strict rules--try going to Beth Hell and listening to rap or heavy metal on your own time, and see how long it takes for you to be put out without even a single toilet paper to your name.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I would argue that in the current employment environment, with the scarcity of jobs, that those with higher education are applying for and getting jobs that would have normally gone to "less educated" persons. That alone is an argument for higher education...it never hurts to have an "ace up your sleeve".

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

This is especially true in the US if you have a marketable scientific skill. There are millions looking for jobs in the US, but at the same time there are a quarter million jobs in science and engineering fields that are simply left empty because there aren't qualified educated people to fill them. A big part of the unemployment problem in the US is really an education problem. The US lags far behind in math and science education and more and more jobs require some kind of skills in math and or science to do. Even a great deal of manufacturing jobs these days require math skills and computer literacy. But compared to countries over seas like china and india, the US has become lazy and dumb in these areas. There are only so many service industry jobs to fill that don't require modern education, but the US has a glut of people who are only qualified to fill these rolls.

A few stats on income.

Median income for a chemist with a B.S. 46k a year

For a software engineer with a B.S 56k a year

Electrical Engineer with a B.S 60k a year

For a full time retail worker 20k year

For a factory worker 32k a year

And the people looking for jobs in those last two catagories are the one's who are unemployed. And for the first three, those are STARTING salaries for people with 0-2 years of experience. It only gets higher with seniority. Go get a college education.

According to a recent article I read (I can try to find it if anyone wants the exact reference), the average student loan debt a student leaves college with was around 25k, the price of a nice new car. It's stupid not to go to college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit