I'm Melting....any ideas?

by Patty Cake 9 Replies latest social physical

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

I'm living in that zone in the USA which is going thru a super bad heat wave...it's been 100-109 F, with a higher heat index and high humidity for more than a week now. I don't have AC and can't get one - I live in a baseemnt apartment with 2 windows, both of which are too small to fit a the smallest unit I've seen. I have fans, but it's not enough. Air circulation is poor.

I've been feeling nausea and am struggling to stay hydrated for a week now (been drinking a ton of water, eating water-rich foods). Aside from leaving the apartment into a place with AC, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep cool?

Thanks,

PC

• talesin
    talesin

You can take a tee shirt, wet it, wring it out and stick it in the freezer or fridge ... put it on and get some relief. Also, if I have to go out, I wear a teeny tiny cotton knapsack on my back (thin cotton) with a freezer pack in it ... it lasts about 15-20 mins. You can hold something cold on your chest, it cools the blood down ,, also run cool water over your wrists. If you are sitting, sit with your feet in cool water, and that will help.

I don't suffer the heat well, so have found those tips work. If you're losing fluids, make sure you eat mineral-rich foods, like bananas (YES) and spinach ... feeling nauseous ,, not good ... you could check with your pharmacist, perhaps some electrolytes would be helpful (you can buy them at the pharmacy and they don't contain the bad sugars and colourings that the 'sports drinks' have). Also, avoid caffeine - it dehydrates you.

tal

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Patty please be careful, this is nothing to take lightly. Shower and fan? Bowl of ice cubes in front of ...........no actually I think you put it right in the back of the fan to the air it is drawing is over the ice. I remember that as a kid. Your local public library

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Try a cool bath or shower. Nausea from heat is a warning sign, get yourself cooled down!

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

Lightweight clothing that wicks moisture off the skin (think Under Armor, Nike Dry-Fit, etc). Take a rag, dip it in ice water, wring it out, and wrap it around your neck. Put a block of ice in a tub (to contain the water when it melts) and put it in front of a fan. I'm not sure where you are or how humid it is but you could also get a small swamp cooler designed for a garage and just fill the water tray manually.

If you're sweating a lot drink some Gatorade, Powerade, etc. or eat some salty snacks. If you replace the salt you're losing you'll feel better.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Tal, you're right about the electrolytes. If you drink tons of water, you are actually washing out your body salts. Get some Gatorade or Pedialite.

• blondie
  • shamus100
    shamus100

Put some salt in your water, and don't drink gatorade. It's full of sugar.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Go see Harry Potter. A.K.A. the movie theater is air conditioned.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I know a lot of people during the summer hear here in Arizona spend the entire day walking around an indoor mall. It's free, you get some excercise and it fun to watch the people.

Drink lots of water!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit