Freeness of speech

by ozziepost 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

As we read the many expressions here on the board it is plain for all to see that the actions and beliefs of the WTS have caused great hurt and distress. Why, even blind Freddie can see it! In short, for many, many JWs the organisation with its elder arrangement just doesn't work. Too much law, too little Christian love.

But as we read the experiences here on the board, we need to weigh up the circumstances being revealed (or not revealed).

Many here on the board have never been DF. Many have not been DA. Nonetheless when posters bear witness to the errors of the WTS, is it because of personal hurt resulting from being DF, or is it because of deep conscientiously-held feelings that have resulted from much thought? It can make a difference.

An individual who comes to opinions at odds with Watchtower thinking and then expresses them is IMO in a different position to the individual who has been DF for some "Gross Sin" and has never taken the time to investigate their beliefs. Why, they may even think there is "nowhere else to go"! In other words, still bound by Watchtower thinking, they simply vent their anguish and anger at the hurts they experience because of being DF.

How different to the situation of ones like Silentlambs who have taken a well-considered position and in good conscience have taken their stand.

For some who have been DF, they later come to a realisation of what was wrong with the WTS. In other words, they have taken the TIME and the TROUBLE to investigate for themselves.

When next we read a post expressing anti-WT sentiment, we need to bear this in mind. Especially should the lurkers, the ones still JW, be aware (as I suspect they might be) that not all are simply ex-Borg for ideological reasons. Some have been DF for behaviour that is not only at odds with the WTS code but also the code of their local community i.e. illegal. Posters who continue in the anti-social, illegal behaviour for which they were DF and continue to promote it do not have the 'freeness of speech' that ones such as Silentlambs have earned.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Hoorah to Ozzie!!!!!

Although I am studying with the jw's still, I'm still on the outskirts. Being a s.l myself, it's hard to trust them, let alone openly speak about my misgivings. I had bitter feelings for them for nearly 8 years. And I still feel hurt, used by these people.

DF folk are emotionally scared from their ordeal. They've pretty much been exposed for behaviour 'unbecoming' to a jw by their so called 'peers'. These 'peers' have ridiculed and ostricized them and made them feel like they alone are the greatest threat to peace. Then there is the guilt-trip bullshit that the elders throw at you. They mess with your head. I've known a few to walk away from the meetings, because of the guilt and shame they were made to suffer for their questioning. Can you blame them for the bitterness they are feeling. And can you really blame them for coming here, voicing their opinion then getting really upset because some idiot on the board doesn't quite agree with what they are saying or takes it completely out of context! Sounds just like a meeting with the elders. DF'd are already feeling a little isolated, they don't really need to feel it on an apostate site too. Let em bitch moan and complain, eventually they will get it out of their system and then the fun can begin - taking the piss out of the wt.

If a df'd person comes here simply to vent, then that is extremely good therapy, no matter what it is they're venting. It does absolutely no good to bottle it up. You'll say something quite innocent and then pow, knocked dead by acidic remarks!!!!

I've got lots of luv to give, but no one wants it! - Mona.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Violet,

Glad to see you've made it to this place and glad to read your thoughts.

There is no doubt that the judicial processes employed by the WTS are extra-ordinarily harsh. I think of the women who face judicial committees quite alone and having to face at least three men. Even the setting of facing your inquisitors is intimidating. Young women being forced to relate intimate details is not the way to demonstrate Christ's forgiveness. Interestingly they meet, not in Christ's name, but in Jehovah's, i.e. they are using the standards and methods more in favour in the Old Testament, the Mosaic Law, than the NT with its "law of love".

I feel strongly that this whole process is an abomination.

But it needn't be that way. I've approached ministers from different christian denominations seeking to find out if and how they maintain "the cleanness of the congregation". JWs are told that 'anything goes' in the churches. But do the R&F really know for sure? My own enquiries showed me that churches in our state do encourage moral behaviour by their members but they manage it without the judicial processes that are used by the Dubs. Interestingly, I've seen that practicising Christians maintain a morally clean lifestyle because they want to not because it's forced on them. And there lies the difference between the WTS and the Christians it looks down upon. The WTS imposes the rule of law amongst its members whereas Christians know that the relationship with God is a personal one, not to be dictated to by an imperfect man-made corporation.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

In my opinion.After reading so many comments from both.I feel like the ones that are disfellowhipped still believe it is the truth.They are just mad at the people.Those that left on their own tend to not believe a lot of the J.W. teachings!What do others think?I left on my own and I just never could believe the things they taught!Even tho I stayed with them for at least 15 years!Stupid huh! GG

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

GG,

Very neatly put! Thanks.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• Hugh Mann
    Hugh Mann

VioletAnai,
    Why 'in the world' are you studying with the JWs. I'm assuming you mean Bible study?

Hugh

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

Even those of us who are not DFed or DAed but have simply walked away are still hurting just thinking about the way we were treated by those loving Christian elders simply for commiting the crime of marying without obtaining their permission first.

Shunned by 95% of the congregation even though cleared of any wrongdoing by the Judicial Kangaroo court. Still they shunned us simply on the sayso of one arrogant selfcentered elder.

It still hurts 6 1/2 years down the track. They should be made to pay for the phycological damage they do to people.

I think they call this special love 'agape' which is greek for horseshit.

And you will know the truth and the REAL truth will set you free.

OlderTom

• avengers
    avengers

Let them come and try to DF me. I'm not the one who did anything wrong. I didn't prostitute myself with a wild beast.
    The WT did. That makes the WT a whore.
    They're the ones that deserve to be DF'd.

THE WATCHTOWER IS A WHORE

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Jaws man! Youre back!
    I was in despair.
    Rip. rend. wrench. maul. tear.chomp.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit