WTBTS prints one thing preaches another

by hungry4life 8 Replies latest jw friends

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

I was talking to a friend and she told me that at her hall they gave a special part (I beleive it was during the meeting where they use the KM)(man my memory is fading fast I guess it is what I used to call the Thursday night meeting (very official) but I know it is different everywhere.

Any way it is late and I am rambling. My point is that they came out with a pretty balanced Awake that made it sound as though a college education wa ok with them. But then during that meeting they held a special talk (with a little skit) that talked about how some had mistaken that article to mean that it was ok to go to college. But in reality all it meant that it is ok to get the most basic education that you can and if that means a bit of college then so be it, but it was still not reccomended. Any way she felt upset by this and said that it seemed like the organization was trying to make one view public and in writing when their real view was spoken very directly to the congregation (covering their butts again).

Did anybody else hear about this? I am not sure how long ago it was. My guess is in the last year or so. How often have you all seen this kind of thing happen. I suppose the good thing is that this added to my friends doubts.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Just like the elders I kicked out of my house a couple years ago, it looks like they too believe you have read between the lines to properly understand Watchtower literature. Some "pure language" they have with so many different personalities reading between the lines, huh?

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

H4L,

I'm pretty sure that this was always the company line. If they outright ban it, they would be under the media spotlight fast, as a cult. This way, they can control people through the elder's 'direction'.

My father was discouraged from secondary education so many times and told to be content with little. He's making pittens still, an those people who counseled him had rich parents, went to college, and are making 85,000 a year. My father's 44, and he's getting a bit old for a new career...so he says.

But, yup, I've heard what you're talking about B4. They tell people to get a 'basic education' so that they don't look irresponsible. Does't mean they aren't, though.

ashi

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day hungry one!

You're quite correct to highlight the disparity on this teaching.

The facts are these:

Around the time that the W/T study article which apparently okayed college was being considered, the Service Department in the USA advised Service Departments in all branches a different version. It's NEVER been made public to the R&F but the local elders would have had it passed to them. Basically there was to be no change, excepting that there was no 'rules'. Can you work that out? I can't and was furious at Bethel when I found out. It was duplicitous. Yet they CLAIM to be the true Christians. "By their fruits you will know them", eh?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

It makes no sense at all to me. Time is a precious gift from God so why not make the most of it. What is the point in working 60 hours a week doing back breakin or mind numbing work when you can spend 40 or less doing what you love and making far better money? With just a short investment of their time. In the long run they would have more time, energy and influence in the preaching work. Not to mention more money to donate to the society. I guess the truth boils down to keeping them from thinking for themselves. You can't make any money if all the members have gotten wise enough to move on to bigger and better things.
    What really makes me sad is the 60+ sisters I know still cleaning houses. It must be so hard on them.

I was talking to another friend a while back she has been cleaning houses for about 5 years (she's 36 or so) she was doing her taxes and she had earned $13,000 dollars for the year(she is a single mom too). She works 40+ hours a week and sometimes drives 40 minutes to her jobs. Any way we talked about what I was up to (I was going to transfer to a University to work on my Bachelors) she was totally rude and said "I think you are just addicted to school, what was wrong with your old job you made $11.00 an hour) Yeah and everyone else there with a bachelors made $30-$35 ( I live in a very economically depressed area). I felt sad for her. Why doesn't it click with them? Ashi tell your dad he is not too old. I am 32 and far from being the oldest student in any of my classes.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ozzie

That's like some issues that became 'conscience matters' during the 70's. They said, do what your conscience tells you, BUT that doesn't mean you can do what you want. Whew, the brain starts squirming like a toad, to quote jim morrison.

SS

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

It makes much more sense if you put into the perspective that there a warring factions at Bethel.

There are the hardliner conseratives and the liberals (not much more liberal, but liberal). They seem to have broken into two parts, the service committee and the writing committee.

As you've notices, the writing committee (liberal) writes one thing and then the service committee (conservative) "fixes" it when they send out the DO's, CO's, and talk outlines. That's why college is ok in the publications now, as is voting, however any "mature" witness "knows" that this has been clarified by talks.

Slipnslidemaster: "Just because I look sexy on the cover of Rolling Stone doesn't mean I'm naughty."
    - Britney Spears

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    As you've notices, the writing committee (liberal) writes one thing and then the service committee (conservative) "fixes" it when they send out the DO's, CO's, and talk outlines. That's why college is ok in the publications now, as is voting, however any "mature" witness "knows" that this has been clarified by talks.

This is why you'll read one thing in the Watchtower magazine and yet hear a different position in a talk at the circuit assembly or district convention.

So, the magazine says OK, but the talk 'says' its a no go.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

We call it the mushroom treatment.

Keep'm in the dark
    Feed'm on bullsh!t
    and when they're ripe, tread on'm

By keeping JDubs ignorant and uneducated they will believe any old crap they feed them. It's the same all over the world not just in religion.

Education is only affordable by the rich to make sure there will be plenty of stupid ones to do the hard yakka for the rich.

In order for some to be rich there have to be many poor. In order for someone to win the lotto there have to be many many loosers. Us.

Both governments and religion, they go hand in hand anyway, preach to the uneducated. Put up with all the crap and hardship in life and don't complain (revolt) and you will get your reward after you're dead. And we believed that crap?

The meek shall inherit the earth..... but first they get trampled on.

How could we fall for such garbage?

And you will know the truth and the REAL truth will set you free.

OlderTom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit