WT approve Further Ed & Dangerous Sports

by alliwannadoislive 2 Replies latest jw friends

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

March 8 2002 Awake! (always gets me that exclamation mark!) features:

Teachers - What we do without them ?
    a series of articles about teachers - how valuable a resource they are - it strikes me as a recruitment drive - and no mention anywhere of how 'our young people would better serve our god by not wasting three further years in education' ...

Dangerous Sports
    an article on hot air ballons - a dreamy, almost poetic account of recreational hot air ballooning ... 'In our next issue - bungee jumping' ...

• ISP
    ISP

I found the article somewhat confusing. The WTS heaps recognition on teachers and the teaching profession at the same time scaring you generally. The scary subheadings were ...'Lack of Respect'...'Drugs and Violence'...'Guns in School'...'Children having Babies'. Then there was a quote to remember...

How grateful we should be to those women and men who provoked our curiosity, who stirred the mind and the heart, who showed us how to satisfy our thirst for knowledge and understanding!
    Who said that? Who is the 'we' in the first sentence? Because the WTS hardly encourages 'curiosity' and 'understanding' except there own garbage. If they are suggesting gratitude in a real sense to secular educators.. I find it shallow and lacking in sincerity..given the WTS stance on education.

ISP

• dmouse
    dmouse

I thought it was a good article, very supportive of teachers.

But as usual they hijack the topic for their own agenda.
    (i.e. look how bad the world is getting, in fulfilment of bible prophecy, we told you so now get out there and WORK to bring more souls to us)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit