Another story you won't see in "Watching the World" - Poverty is being rapidly & radically eliminated

by sir82 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

"Oh woe oh woe, how bad the world is getting!"

That's the theme of the first 5 pages of every issue of the Watchtower and Awake for the past 80 years, and the opening 5-10 minutes of every "public" Sunday talk for the past 80 years.

But is it really true? Are things just continually getting worse and worse?

Not for hundreds of millions of people:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-07-08/developmental-issues/29751472_1_extreme-poverty-india-and-china-report

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011070715112331

Hundreds of millions of people are rising out of poverty - far more and far faster than projected!

Oh but those are "just Indians & Chinese", and as we all know, in the eyes of the WTS, "they don't really count" (witness the fact that billions of them have never once in their life even heard the name "Jehovah", let alone met a Jehovah's Witness, let alone been given a "thorough witness").

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Shame on you for not blindly following the Society! Jehovah's spirit sure isn't in YOU!

• maksym
    maksym

I disagree with the opening post.

I've studied sociology in the University. Actual factual records for the country of the United States says that for the past 30 years poverty has remained the same.

I don't have any source material to spout from but from 1970 until now poverty in the U.S. has hovered around 12 to 15 percent. The influx of poverty is offest by those coming out of poverty. Unfortunately it is hidden and is labeled an individual problem from a social perspective in the U.S.

As for the rest of the world it is hard to say. I don't have any facts on that.

Neutral therefore....niether is it diminishing or gaining...well at least from the country of the U.S.

Also articles from the source above don't take into account how poverty is labeled. They generally label poverty in the official level sense. What that means is purely subjective from governmental and cultural understanding.

Maksym

• sir82
    sir82
    Actual factual records for the country of the United States says that for the past 30 years poverty has remained the same.

Perhaps you should try to read the posted links read the posted links before replying.

The articles deal with worldwide poverty, especially in India. The poverty rate in India is projected to be cut from 50+ % to 20% by 2015.

I have no idea about the poverty rate in the US, and the above links don't address that topic.

The point of the post is this: Life is getting measurably better for hundreds of millions of people, in contrast with the Watchtower's claims that society is far far FAR worse off than it was prior to 1914.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

omg there are people in the world besides Americans?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They aren't in America so they don't count. America #1 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

BTW - watching the world was one of my favorite columns the WTS ever produced! Holy cow, I used to think I was so up on current events by reading that!!!

You're point is well taken. The fact is, less people are dying of disease, hunger, etc percentage wise than anytime in human history. Granted, we still have major problems but things are way better now than they were even 100 years ago.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Just another myopic moment from an American who's idea of travelling is going to Mexico at some all-inclusive gringo hole to eat and get smashed for a week.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

"Watching the World" does not mean "Watching the USA" - sheesh....

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Just another myopic moment from an American who's idea of travelling is going to Mexico at some all-inclusive gringo hole to eat and get smashed for a week.

And purchasing the companionship of a young chica. Don't forget that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit