Baseball fan gives back Derek Jeter's 3000th hit baseball

by TonyT 3 Replies latest social current

• TonyT
    TonyT

Christian Lopez is the feel-good story of Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit. The 23-year old Yankee fan caught Jeter's home run, and historic 3,000th hit, Saturday in the left-field bleachers at Yankee Stadium. The former college football player could have held on to the ball and sold it to the highest bidder. Instead, he handed it over to Jeter and the Yankees. Lopez' generosity surprised many fans and TV/radio hosts who've been debating it ever since. The Yankees rewarded him with a personal meeting with Jeter.

What would you do? Is this even a moral or ethical decision?

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

If I were a Yankees fan, I would have done the same, as I certainly would have done if it was a player from my beloved Cleveland Indians. However, if it was a ball and milestone from another team, and especially from the odious Yankees, I would have held out for a lot more than seats to remaining games. Jeter is a multimillionaire, arrogant jerk and should have personnally offered the guy $$ that he could have gotten if he had chosen to hold on to it to sell. It would depend on the team and player. Jeter is probably laughing at what a patsy that poor guy was.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Jeter is a multimillionaire, arrogant jerk and should have personnally offered the guy $$ that he could have gotten if he had chosen to hold on to it to sell. It would depend on the team and player. Jeter is probably laughing at what a patsy that poor guy was.

LOL, spoken like a true scorned and jealous Cleveland Indians fan. Jeter's a good guy, conducts himself well on and off the field. Me personally, I would have given the ball to Jeter as well, or anybody else who's reached a significant milestone in their career, regardless of my personal feelings towards them.

By the way, CC Sabathia sends his regards..............

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

George, I have been in northeast Ohio for 60 years, I am used to being dissappointed by the Cleveland teams. CC was never a Cleveland person, his wife didn't even live here while he played for us. I think she did move to NY though. I have no animosity for his taking $160m, no way Cleveland could match that and no way he would turn it down. He played well for Cleveland except he choked in the 2007 playoffs with Boston, blowing both of the games he pitched. No one forgets that. That was most likely our last chance at a World Series in my lifetime. It was sweet when he pitched against Cleveland in the opener of the new Yankee Stadium in 09 and we beat them 10-2! And it was sweet when we beat the Yankees in the 07 playoffs. I have no jealousy of the Yankees, I just think it is impossible for a market like Cleveland to compete against teams that have unlimited finances and can buy all the best players after they've come up through other teams and are gone just when they are at their peak. I still think Jeter is arrogant and should have offered the guy who caught his ball something, maybe season tickets for next year. That would be like us forking out for one game in the bleachers! Or better yet, make a sizeable donation to the guy's favorite charity, since Mr. Lopez seems to be of the kind hearted nature. It was the Yankees who offered Mr. Lopez the rewards, not Jeter. George, are you a Yankees fan in NY?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit