Selling literature on ebay? Good, bad or ugly?

by itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Many of you are collectors of the older literature especially. I have been involved for 50 years with WTB&TS and have 4 generations prior to me involved. I started collecting the literature and releases log ago and always viewed it as a hobby. In looking for certain items I found other collectors and sellers on ebay and purchased some hard to find items through the years there. I also in the last few years have been selling items occasionally that were duplicates, etc... as a means to offset costs procuring "the keepers" as I call them. Here is the question then, how do witnesses view this action? I know how I view it and that is not going to change but how about you? Taking all things into account, how can this be viewed as anything but someones personal business, especially when most JWs throw out bookshelf clutter when viewed as "out of date and even dangerous older thought material" haahehehah..just saying...

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

The society often tells the members to destroy old lit, old blood cards, etc.

To me, this speaks volumns.

I collect the old lit too, it needs to be saved.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

At an elder's meeting the CO once said, "On Ebay one apostate is selling our books to another apostate. We can get whatever publications we want at the literature counter!"

But he was talking about the flock book at the time, which was/is all over the net.

• alanv
    alanv

I don't think the society would be bothered with someone just having old literature. I imagine there must be loads of older books still in their library at Bethel

They would only become interested if someone was harping back to old ideas the society had years ago. If the individual started telling other witnesses about it, they would be accused of causing divisions. Then if they carried on doing it they would be disfellowshipped for going against 'God's organisation'

• sir82
    sir82

Most JWs to whom I say "you know you can get just about any old WT literature on EBay" responds with a wide-eyed stare and stunned silence.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you post a really embarrasing quote from the publication you could have JWs bidding against apostates to keep it out of their hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit