Support for ex-Jehovah's Witnesses

by Lindy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Lindy
    Lindy

That is the title of the local small town newspaper article in the religion section of the newspaper yesterday.

I couldn't believe my eyes, but it is a fairly large article stating everything from how ex-JW's are shunned to how the Witnesses disfellowshipped people for questioning their faith, to child abuse. It mentions the sexual abuse experience of one person, and how she was sexually abused by her BIL, and never dealt with properly within the congregation. It speaks of a local group that has formed to help the ex-Witnesses and anyone who wants to come including current JW's that are doubting, are welcome. The article stated that fear is used to hold ones in.

But the article does make some mistakes, unfortunately. It calls the body of elders the "governing body." It also stated that if you weren't a member in good standing and you had children who died before they reached the age of accountability set by the church, the children's souls were annihilated."

As we know, it is the body of "elders," not the "governing body." JW's don't believe in the "souls" at death dying, but just life ceasing to exist. So any current JW reading those things could just pass the article off completely. I really wish reporters would do their homework.

But the article has a side box with sites that include: Watchtowernews.org, Exjws.net, RandyTV.com, watchman.org, and: ta da!: silentlambs.org/ (which the article describes in detail)!!! It also mentions online groups like Yahoo's "Women Awake."

It discusses a Timothy Campbell, an exJW, who maintains the website, www.beyondjw.com. He bought out that "Honesty can hurt so much that we seek any reason at all to find fault in the information set before us. (When learning the "Truth" is not the truth.) It is for this reason that I try so hard to ensure my Web site doesn't contain any mistakes. It is a very human tendency to find one little flaw and use that to dismiss everything else that is being said."

What Campbell said here is true and that is why I felt that the reporter who did this article was one who should have done her homework better. Those two mistakes she made can shut down someone, JW's doubting in particular, who otherwise would have read the whole article and thought about it. Some will use those mistakes as an excuse to dismiss the whole article for the reasons Campbell stated.

I do intend to write the editor of the newspaper, but I think the damage is done as far as some JW's taking this article at all seriously.

But it is so cool that this stuff has even hit the small time papers. The truth about the "Truth" is really advancing!! It is exciting to watch.

The article concludes with the group contacts name and phone number and email. The group leader screens new members by meeting with them in order to protect the others in the group.

Be informed though, that she, although she studied with JW's for one year, and attended a few meetings, was never baptised. She is now pastor of DaySpring Church (Free Methodist), but due to her experience with the Witnesses "felt moved to create a nurturing environment, a forum for ex-JW's."

Anyone living around the Medina, Wadsworth, Valley City, Brunswick, Strongsville, Berea, areas of Ohio, if interested, you can call Diana Combs at 330-722-2317 or e-mail her at [email protected] if you are interested in joining, or at least exploring the option of joining, this support group.

As Always,
    Lindy

• flower
    flower

well i think that they believe the soul IS the life and the soul dies (or is annihilated) when someone dies. its the same thing. and this is true of people that arent in good standing or are disfellowshiped. in their opinion our children will die along with us unless they are old enough to make a stand for the truth themselves. the way they stated it was a little wierd but that is what they believe.

as far as the elders being the governing body that was probably just a mistake. its hard for anyone not a part of the org to understand the whole structure of the org. but i'm sure if you write the editor you could get a correction posted on that point. might be a good idea.

flower

• Lindy
    Lindy

flower,

You miss the point. Let me clarify. In this case wording is everything. You and I know that JW's believe that the soul is you, and that the soul ceases to exist when you die, it is not a separate entity. But the wording was "the children's souls were annihilated," much different than, "they won't be resurrected in the future," which would have been the correct wording. The world does think differently about the soul compared to the JW's. It is a distinct form, with a future life. This phrasing used isn't correct. It will turn off many JW's reading it, and that was my point.

They will assume if the reporter doesn't know what she is talking about when it comes to this, that she doesn't know what she is talking about in the rest of the article. And to top it off the reporter made two big mistakes, not just one. She is a reporter. She has to be credible. If not, she may as well not speak at all.

It may be hard for anyone outside the organization to understand the terminology, but with a reporter writing an article, it is their job to understand what they are writing about. It is their job to be informed and write correctly.

If I write a term paper for college and the information is inaccurate, the professor is not going to excuse it because I didn't get my information correct. Same with a reporter.

This is more important than an article on gardening and mentioning the wrong name of a flower, or forgetting the salt in a recipe printed in the food section, lives are at risk on getting out of the Organization, and inaccurate information or wording isn't going to help that along.

This newspaper will be read over a six congregational area. Three different circuits are involved. It will be talked about and quoted in many more congregations than these, as it already is by me bringing it here. How many other JW's and eX-JW's will read this and go on line to who knows where, and either talk about this negatively or positively? Correct press is important.

As Always,
    Lindy

• outnfree
    outnfree

Lindy,

Any chance that you could either scan the article or transcribe it for us here?

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• flower
    flower

ok, i understand what you mean now.

sorry,

flower

• rekless
    rekless

life force = soul

soul is in the blood

when ones blood stops flowing through the body then one life force is gone

dead,

this is how I understood it as a witness

anyway who knows, never has man come back and told us what is on the other side.
    not even Jesus, all is mentioned is he went and preached to the demons.

"stupid is as stupid does!!!"Forest Gumps' mama

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

What it really gets down too is this,Df'd or those who left the WatchTower is really indeed in need of a support group.I was never a JW,but my Ex was and she was Df'd,because of my interst in the WatchTower..They kept the terror up until I came to my Ex's side and I began my research.Thanks to the WatchTower,I am very,very,good at research now,especially in the field of cultic theology,plus I work with a team of aplogetics today and we are from coast to coast.
    To me the WatchTower is holding wonderful,sweet,and good people,as ransom,ready to sacifice them at any given time,if one has a different opinion.These are,as you know,Jehovah Witnesses.I never will cease in trying to help these people.....no one should....

• Lindy
    Lindy

outnfree,
    Wish that I could scan it, but the dang thing won't work. Hubby looked at it, and can't for the moment, figure out what is wrong with it. Sorry.

Lindy

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks for trying, Lindy.

Could you tell us the name of the newspaper and the town its publisher is located in?

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit