There is no god, the wicked sayeth . . .

by nicolaou 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"There is no God," the wicked saith,
    "And truly it's a blessing,
    For what He might have done with us
    It's better only guessing."

"There is no God," a youngster thinks,
    "or really, if there may be,
    He surely did not mean a man
    Always to be a baby."

"There is no God, or if there is,"
    The tradesman thinks, "'twere funny
    If He should take it ill in me
    To make a little money."

"Whether there be," the rich man says,
    "It matters very little,
    For I and mine, thank somebody,
    Are not in want of victual."

Some others, also, to themselves,
    Who scarce so much as doubt it,
    Think there is none, when they are well,
    And do not think about it.

But country folks who live beneath
    The shadow of the steeple;
    The parson and the parson's wife,
    And mostly married people;

Youths green and happy in first love,
    So thankful for illusion;
    And men caught out in what the world
    Calls guilt, in first confusion;

And almost everyone when age,
    Disease, or sorrows strike him,
    Inclines to think there is a God,
    Or something very like Him.

Arthur Hugh Clough

Born. Jan. 1, 1819, Liverpool
    Died. Nov. 13, 1861, Florence

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Time moves on and not 'everyone' is now inclined to think there is a god, there are indeed atheists in foxholes. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate simple, poetic verse like this.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I think it's funny how many underground atheists there have been in history. The actual amount, if it were ever possible to find out, must be staggering.

-Sab

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I suppose atheism bore the same stigma throughout the dark ages as homosexuality has done until recently. It's so much easier to 'come out' now . . .

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that, in times of great tribulation, when people THINK they God should be most "active" and THEY don't see this, that the view of "No God" is quite understandable.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

God gets a free pass from you everytime then PSac'?

Let me tell you something, there will always be folk making excuses for their pet gods inactivity but it just sounds lamer and lamer these days. The time will come when god finds himself with no credible followers to defend him - just a few nutjobs of the kind we have trolling around on JWN.

He'll have no-one to blame but himself . . .

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    God gets a free pass from you everytime then PSac'?

Yeah cause I don't see how I can judge or balme him for the things we do to each other.

Let me tell you something, there will always be folk making excuses for their pet gods inactivity but it just sounds lamer and lamer these days. The time will come when god finds himself with no credible followers to defend him - just a few nutjobs of the kind we have trolling around on JWN.
    He'll have no-one to blame but himself . . .

I agree with you and I do believe that it is God's choice to NOT came into our lives as a "gang buster" that hampers so many and drives so many away and cause so many to doubt.

If God was more active then certainly and at least, there woudl be no doubts about God's existence, even if soem still choose to give him the perverbial finger, right?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I don't see how I can judge or blame him for the things we do to each other.

What about things that aren't our fault? Tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados and such? If it really is "God's choice to NOT came into our lives" at times like these what does that say about God?

If he really is there then he stands accused of neglecting his children. But I'm not angry at God for the suffering humanity endures, it really isn't his fault.

How could it be?

• designs
    designs

Hell I'd be happy if God could keep a good set of Brakes on a Baptist School Bus.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit