Hav'ilah - The gold of that land is good.

by tallguy345 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tallguy345
    tallguy345

I was reading Genesis the other day and stumbled across Genesis 2: 11, 12.

The garden of Eden had just been created and the surrounding areas were being described.

Genesis 2

(10) Now there was a river issuing out of E'den to water the garden, and from there it began to be parted at it became, as it were, four heads. (11) The first one's name is Pi'shon; it is the one encircling the entire land of Hav'ilah, where there is gold. (12) And the gold of that land is good. There also are bdellium gum and onyx stone.

I found it interesting that gold was mentioned this early in the bible.

Gold has always represented material wealth and power. It usefulness in bibles times would of been limited to decoration and a store of wealth.

Why was it so notable that not only gold, but 'good' gold was described in Genesis 2? This should of been a time before greed or material wealth had even been conceived of. In my own personal view, I feel the storing of wealth for personal gain has limited our progress as a society. (Income disparity)

I've received a few explanations on this topic from friends, family and elders:

- Moses was describing the area as it was in his time. Material things such as gold, bdellium hum and onyx would make the area notable in that era.

Surely the materialistic nature of people would of been present in Moses day. Wouldn't wealth and materialism have no place so close to the perfection of Adam and Eve?

If he was just relating to common things of his day, do we then have to take the rest of his writings from the perspective of when they were written, not the time period they covered? Perhaps we should reinterpret the bible for the time we are living in, not taking it literally?

- Gold was God's institution and control of an economic system

If this is the case, then God enabled materialism by giving us a tool to make it more efficient. Gold is way easier to stockpile than livestock and produce.

- It doesn't matter that gold was mentioned in Genesis 2, you're over reacting.

Maybe. I'd just like to know why (in my opinion)the cause of wars and famine was mentioned before the Original Sin.

I think my next kingdom hall contribution will be in Gods currency of choice. Storing up riches in heaven, one 1/20oz gold coin at a time.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts on this.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You may find this enlightening - I certainly did.

http://www.setterfield.org/Havilah.html

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/index.htm

The Bible also mentions gold from Ophir; I find it intriguing that Havilah and Ophir were names of two of Joktan's sons. Joktan was the second of Eber's sons as mentioned in Genesis 10.

Were the places named after the men, or were the men named after the places?

I'm having a great time researching.

Syl

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The anunnaki came here looking for gold to save their planet.

• wobble
    wobble

I came across that verse as a kid of about 12, I used to dream of an Indiana Jones type adventure (long before Indy was "born" in film, this was 1962)where I got to know the loction of this land and set off to find the gold, villains chasing my every move as they wanted the gold, and I would have to lay false trails, and shake them off, till I made myself a rich man.

Ah, the dreams of youth !

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Wobble.

Kids have fantastic imaginations.

Syl

• sinis
    sinis

Read the Sumerian texts - men were bred/created as slaves. The Bibles beginning chapters open up as a "road map" of resources on Earth. Ask yourself why? What possible explanation exists for the detailed account of all the resources being sites and their location. Its a way point for someones return, or if someone needed to reoccupy a certain location for resource wealth due to localized overthrow, etc (Spaniards did the same thing when they came to the New World).

Nancy Drew is more in line with what some believe...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit