Can anyone identify this little creature?

by mummatron 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mummatron
    mummatron

Unidentified Moth

Found this wee beastie on my garden wall this evening. I know it's a moth but what type? I've never seen anything like it before in my life. You should get an idea of its size in relation to the brick. I love how its markings are a pinky red and khaki green, so although it photographed clearly, it was actually pretty well camouflaged - evidence of evolution maybe? Don't suppose the garden of Eden had a red brick wall..?

• fortis et liber
    fortis et liber

mummatron, I believe that is an Elephant Hawk Moth (Deilephila elpenor); moths certainly are not my specialty so I most definitely could be wrong. I was so curious from your photo -- I have never seen a moth so beautiful before -- I just had to find out, Deilephila elpenor is my best guess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linjohnpics/5168947095/

I'm sorry this is becoming ridiculous at this point, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to embed a photo (or video for that matter); the hyperlink provided should direct you to a relative of the one moth you captured in your yard.

~ Fortis

• unshackled
    unshackled

Crazy moth you got there mummatron. Here's the pic fortis...

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

It's looks like Obama. Kinda pretty, but only comes out at night and doesn't do much....

• fortis et liber
    fortis et liber

unshackled, thank you !!

• mummatron
    mummatron

Thanks Fortis!

I can identify a fair few butterflies but I've not come across many varieties of moth so never really learned about any of the different species.

Now I know what it is, I Googled and found out some interesting info. I now realise it was an elephant hawk caterpillar that I spotted 2 weeks back right next to some rosebay willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), which we have in abundance here, only a few feet away from where I found this this fella. Apparently their numbers have increased over the past few years which might explain why I don't recall ever having seen one before today.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Do you live in the amazon or what?

• mummatron
    mummatron

LOL @Sam Whiskey!

Haha shamus100!Funny to think we have such beauty and diversity in such an ecologically boring part of the UK. I didn't see anything half as visually stunning as this in the butterfly house at Bristol Zoo. It cost me £12 to get in there, whereas I found this little guy by accident when I was getting my washing in off the clothes line.

• scooterspank
    scooterspank

Beautiful!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit