what is "false belief"

by J. Hofer 2 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

is there such thing?

"belief" is something you cannot prove. ever. as soon as you can prove it, it's no longer belief, but knowledge. science so to speak.

as long as you believe somthing you cannot prove, it most probably is a genuine belief. one doesn't believe in something he/she doesn't believe in. thus, i'll make the point that there is no such thing as "false belief". there are only "true believes". as long as you don't have knowledge, that is.

• Terry
    Terry

Those who invest money believe the investment will pay dividends based on a certain representation of performance.

That belief can be neither "true" nor "false."

The performance or non-performance is in the future in respect to the belief.

However, once that belief is tested by non-performance a reckoning and adjustment is prudent.

Deliberate belief based on Sunk Cost fallacy would clearly be a "false belief".

Welcome to the world of Jehovah's Witnesses! (Can anybody say: 1975?)

• wobble
    wobble

I agree J.H, no such animal ! as Terry points out, your trust in a certain outcome because of your belief can be proven by time to be a mis-placed trust, but this does not make belief anything different than it always was, i.e trusting in something with no proof.

Hence I make the point to any that are interested, (J.W's are always asking me about my beliefs "now") that I have no beliefs.

I know that the pedantic philosophers would try to prove me wrong on that, but I cannot think of a single thing in which I trust, that does not have proof to make that trust seem sound.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit