Tsarnaev guilty - should he get death or not?

by Simon 49 Replies latest social current

• unknown ex-jw
    unknown ex-jw

My version of justice has him sent to prison for life, without possibility of parole (cheaper than the death penalty I've heard); in the general population, killed in his cell.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I think he should be set free. He should be given a good job. He should have a really nice place to live. He should have a beautiful wife and live in peace and happiness.

Then, once he is comfortable and complacent, he should have a homemade explosive set off without warning in close proximity to him shattering everything he holds dear and maming him. He should live just long enough after that to see his life crumple and to suffer weeks of agonizing pain. He should be transfused with pigs blood to keep him alive. And then he should be left in an alley on a cold rainy night to slowly die, alone, as rats chew on carcass.

• Simon
    Simon

So he's been officially sentenced to death but in the meantime gets to 'enjoy' life in a super-max prison.

He could have apologized to his victims and their families but he didn't. Oh, I know you'll hear that he did - but all he did was invoke the name of the imaginary vile god of barbarism that was the inspiration of him committing the crimes in the first place.

Would you feel good if someone asked Voldemort for forgiveness for the murder of your loved ones? No.

Already I've seen the start of the attempt to turn this into a propaganda campaign for the "religion of peace". Sickening. He butchered those people because of Islam and he isn't sorry at all for doing it. He should rot in misery for a long time and then be executed.

As one of the CNN reporters put it - she's offered a more heartfelt and sincere apology for knocking someone's drink over.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I agree in principle with you simon but in specificity my statment from a month ago stands
  • barry
    barry

Under normal circumstances I would prefer Tsarnaev to be locked up for life. As it is he will still be locked up for quite a few years and will suffer in anticipation of his death.

With many of these nut jobs I have concerns there Islamic mates may try to get a prisoner released by taking hostages and as a result incur the deaths of others. Sometimes people like Tsarnaev can be viewed as a hero by Islamists

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I would not vote for the death penalty in this case. For one thing it costs more to execute someone than to imprison them for life due to the appeals process. Also, killing him will make him a martyr in the eyes of many.

While what he did was horrific and unforgivable, but I do think he was influenced by his brother and due to his age might not have understood the complete, full ramifications of what he did, plus he was a member of an extreme religion, and we all know how religion can warp your values. His apology does not ring true to me, but I feel spending the rest of his life in prison will give him time to reflect on the path he chosen and maybe come to feel true repentance. He can think about the lives he took, about the life he might have had and the wife and children he will never have.

• fiddler
    fiddler
    I vote no death penalty. Let him grow old in prison and maybe be a voice to other young people who are thinking of making a choice like he did...don't do it! He sounds a bit contrite but he is young. If he really does 'feel' the pain he has caused then let him live with that but maybe be a voice to young people who are caught up in similar dangerous cults and ideologies.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@LisaRose - I mostly agree with you in that I think Tsarnaev should ideally be sent to a tough prison for 200 years.

But I do think he was old enough to have understood the complete, full ramifications of what he did - at the time of the Boston bombing he was a couple of months off his 20th birthday. Like everyone else, when I was 20 I knew setting off a bomb in a street is wrong.

• done4good
    done4good

I am not politically a proponent of the death penalty. That said, the all or nothing ideological viewpoints held in political circles, (yes, even my own), do not fit this case.

Torture is far worse than death, and I will never support that. He deserves the worst possible punishment, short of inflicting a lifetime of torture. Solitary confinement is torture. If someone is seriously being considered for this type of punishment, they have exceeded the threshold of what I would consider an allowable case for the death penalty. The death penalty is the only logical solution.

Society has no use for sub-human homo sapiens such as Tsarnaev.

d4g

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

He will get the death penalty. And after the many Appeals that have to run their course, finally he will be executed because the Court deemed that it was an act of terrorism- against the American people. And the powers that be in the USA will require that he pays with his life. Should he get the death penalty depends on what standard of justice should be applied in his case. I think that you made a powerful point in your commentary relating to religious indoctrination and incitement.

Although his actions are inhuman does not justify inhuman treatment. If he is to be executed, the penalty is death not torture to death or a torturous death. Death is his payment. He should be shown the compassion and pity that he did not show his victims during his execution. After all we are human. While he is in prison, it cannot be justified to torture him mentally or otherwise. His penalty is loss of freedom not torturous life. He should have good food, clean water, clothing, temperature comfort, medical treatment, entertainment, a proper place to sleep and everything that a human basically needs. I did not say luxury, but his basic needs, because the purpose of jail is not vindictiveness. If money is the problem, then his family should be made to pay for his room and board and expenses. But torture of any human is not just. Neither murdering him in jail can be justified while he awaits execution. We are not like him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit