Tsarnaev guilty - should he get death or not?

by Simon 49 Replies latest social current

• Protarded
    Protarded
    Just my opinion... I'd normaly be inclined to dispose of this waste of good oxygen, however due to recent events I remain skeptical. The "guilty" verdict doesn't hold as much weight as it did a year ago. I'm going to need to be convinced BEYOND a reasonable doubt. Pass me the tinfoil hat
  • Lost his mind
    Lost his mind
    This one is tricky. I don't want him to become a martyr by lethal injection but I don't want him to be in our cushy little prisons either. Maybe, as some have stated, isolation and food that is against his "religion" for the rest of his days? I don't know. If it was a rapist I would say cut off the offending member, if you know what I mean. But this guy killed people in a violent way. I am unsure of what I really would want to happen to him. Tricky stuff.
  • zombie dub
  • carla
    carla

It doesn't matter if he is given a death sentence because most people are on death row for approximately 20-30 years. In that time some looney attorney will try and get an appeal or some group will attempt to get him off anyway. We will spend a few million more dollars on this scumbag and in the end he will probably die of old age if someone doesn't off him first in prison.

If he is put in a supermax prison it will cost the taxpayer approx. $75,000.00 per year, a fed prison is about $25,000.00 per year

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    My concern about the death penalty centres around what such a deliberate act being lawful does to humankind in general. Of course, if it's our own nearest and earest who have been hurt, then we will crave for vengeance. But I believe that the law has to rise above the desire for vengeance if it's to be impartial. If you give a country licence to kill it's own citizens, that is the moment that country's entire penal system goes down Draconian road.
  • Simon
    Simon
    Personally, I think "justice" would have been better meted out if he were sentenced to live in an 8x8 concrete cell for the rest of his life, living only on ham and bacon

You get my vote.

I don't want him to become a martyr by lethal injection but I don't want him to be in our cushy little prisons either. Maybe, as some have stated, isolation and food that is against his "religion" for the rest of his days? I don't know.

The top security prison he'd be on isn't "cushy". It's hell. Locked up for 23 hours a day and never seeing the sky.

If he is put in a supermax prison it will cost the taxpayer approx. $75,000.00 per year, a fed prison is about $25,000.00 per year

The problem with the objections based on cost is that the logical conclusion is that you shouldn't lock anyone up. If you can't lock someone like him up then how can you justify incarceration for lesser crimes?

The US should certainly be able to afford it - they waste far more money on less productive endeavors like the F35 (billions / trillions).

The sheer size of the US prison population is the cost issue - an industry getting rich off tax payers. I don't think it's right to focus on one case and decide that the justice making decisions should be affected by how much it would cost. By the same argument he shouldn't have been pursued and prosecuted either as that cost money.

People should be brought to justice whatever the cost. If anyone truly thinks the US is short on funds vs short on the ability to spend money more wisely then they should consider if the country could possibly survive with one less aircraft carrier, a few less congressmen or senators and so on.

• carla
    carla

I don't object the money spent putting some of these animals away for a lifetime and even the lesser crimes where rehabilitation could be possible. I do object to keeping some on death row for 20-30 years when guilt is beyond any doubt and the perp confessed, dna etc....

As for the Boston bomber I was just saying it hardly matters if he got death penalty or not as it probably won't happen or if it does it will be 20-30 years later when the American public memory will have faded and the view will be softened by then and a new trial or trial by public opinion will hold it up yet again for another 10-15 years or so.

I know many people who are tired of the 'catch and release' justice that is prevalent in the US but cannot say so verbally because it is not politically correct to do so.

I do object as a taxpayer to inmates getting sex change operations on the taxpayers dime.

I object to inmates suing because they don't like the food or it goes against their religious beliefs. Hello! it is prison! it is not supposed to be pleasant. I am not saying they should be treated inhumanly but good grief.....

I do object of quite a few cases I know of personally where a guy goes to prison, gets his education all for free, gets out and refuses to pay his child support or works all under the table so there is no paper trail. I object to these same guys getting social welfare while they continue to party & do drugs all on the taxpayers dime while their ex wives and kids live in poverty. But now I am off subject.... the whole system is messed up.

Maybe if the judges, psychologist and the parole boards were held personally responsible when they let some of these dangerous ones back into society only to re-offend or they had the pedophiles living next door to them things would change.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I said a month ago in this thread I'd rather see Tsarnaev slopping out in a tough prison for 200 years.

The American justice system have decided to sentence him to death instead. It's fine with me.

Tsarnaev forfeited his right to life when he and his brother deliberately killed and injured civilians.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The purpose of jail is not to punish or torture people but to isolate them from society including a prison society - not quite right.

The purpose of jail is both to humanely punish and isolate the criminal from society.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Execute him.

Burn the carcass.

Quicker the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit