Tsarnaev guilty - should he get death or not?

by Simon 49 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

So he's going to be put to death. I doubt many people will shed a tear for him - he's no loss to the world which will always be a better place without people like him in it.

A demonstration of how much better western society is - would someone who'd done what he did have gotten a fair trial taking months in the kind of regime he advocates?

No, of course not.

That is the difference between civilization and barbarism.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It still doesn't equal to what he did to those innocent unexpected people and the way they died.

He is going to lie down on a bed and a doctor is going to put him to sleep by general anesthesia, then inject a drug to stop his heart and breathing.

A lot easier way to die then what did to those people he killed

.... just saying

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

The purpose of jail is not to punish or torture people but to isolate them from society including a prison society. Every prisoner should get solitary confinement.

Although I agree with the death penalty in principle in practice I would have life in prison. About 10% of those convicted are likely to be innocent, railroaded through an unfair trial. Life in prison will give the innocent a chance to vindicate themselves. It's happened before.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am against the death penalty in most cases. If you are talking about cost, it costs more to put someone to death than to imprison them for life due to the expense of the appeals process. I feel it is justified when the evidence of guilt is overwhelming and the crime is extremely cruel and their are no mitigating factors.

In this case the evidence was overwhelming, and the crime was extremely cruel, but I feel there were a few mitigating factors. He was fairly young and current scientific studies show that the brain of a young adult of 18 is not fully developed, particularly when it come to judgement and impulse control.

I also think he was greatly influenced by his brother and would not have done this on his own. He was also influenced by his religion and everyone here knows how religious beliefs can warp your thinking. I also think putting him to death would make him a matyr and possibly influence others to follow his example.

I would have chosen life in prison without the possibility of parole. That's a lot of years for him to think about what he has done and what he lost by taking this course.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    My personal opinion on this individual and his activity such as it was, I would have given him a life sentence in solitary confinement, now thats what I call punishment to fit the crime.
  • Simon
    Simon
    He was also influenced by his religion and everyone here knows how religious beliefs can warp your thinking

That is no excuse. It is the modern equivalent of "I was just following orders". Everyone is accountable for their own actions and if they were convinced by an extremist religion then they are responsible for allowing themselves to be convinced and not putting humanity first. People have an inherent sense of right and wrong - he was not insane, he chose to do what he did.

I think what he did goes beyond "I was misled". It was pure evil. No one can justify putting a bomb next t some kids for any reason whatsoever. Religion is no excuse.

The process of law and the quiet and steady process of justice is what makes us better that they will ever be. I am normally opposed to the death penalty because sometimes there are doubts about evidence etc... but in this case there is no doubt whatsoever and the crime so heinous that it is a fair punishment. He will get a death that he didn't give his victims - unless they have one of those botched chemical concoctions that almost doesn't quite work and takes half an hour. We can only hope.

Sad that some low life lawyers will want to make money by eeking out appeals forever and a day. But I don't think the cost of either the legal processes or the prison incarceration should be a consideration in doing the right thing.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I know he "deserves" the death penalty, but there is a big part of me that still has a problem with capital punishment. It seems so unevolved for us to say, "You killed us, so we are going to kill you." It seems so opposite of what we teach kids about "two wrongs don't make a right".

This is a topic that I constantly struggle with. Part of me celebrates and says, "Yeah! Kill the bastard!" But then there's the other part of me that says, "Wait ... that's not right, either."

I think the lines between punishment and revenge often get blurred in cases of mass murder.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Tsarnaev guilty - should he get death or not?

Image result for with a Cherry on top

.....................Image result for death

• Simon
    Simon
    I think the lines between punishment and revenge often get blurred in cases of mass murder.

I disagree. I think this happens in countries that don'e have a mature civilization and society that respects the rule of law but most western civilizations have learnt to remove the victims from the process of deciding punishment.

When he is killed is is not because of any revenge and I think that is insulting to even suggest. He will be killed because he has been deemed to have committed an act so grossly inhuman that we don't want him living with us.

He's voted off the island but in today's global village there is no "outside" where people can be exiled to. Either you lock him up for the rest of his life or you end it.

It is not revenge. It is justice. He deserves revenge but we are a civilized society so we don't allow it.

The pathetic society he prefers would see him burnt alive or some other gross treatment for far lesser crimes.

Don't feel sorry for an animal that needs to be destroyed.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Don't misunderstand me. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Like I said, I do feel like he deserves it. I want him off the planet like everyone else. I was just saying that cases like this always bring up my uncomfortableness with capital punishment, in general.

To me, killing someone for killing someone does feel a little revengeful, but I guess it depends on how close you are to what has happened. Revenge is a very normal, human thing to feel. If he killed my family, I would want revenge, too.

Punishment, justice, revenge. I still think these are different shades of the same thing.

Personally, I think "justice" would have been better meted out if he were sentenced to live in an 8x8 concrete cell for the rest of his life, living only on ham and bacon. But I guess that sounds a little revengeful!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit