Current Teaching on Competition?

by skeeter1 7 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have an adult JW relative that is a baptised publisher. Been "in the Truth" for some time, and is still going to meetings, out in service, etc. This JW relative entered into a competitive horse show and won several ribbons. I am dying to ask, "How can you compete?"...but am biting my tongue. This JW is planning on more horse show competitions next Fall/Winter and is training for it. Has the Borg changed its mind on competition?

Please, let me know.... I am hoping that this person is really leaving the Truth (or finally decidng to not forego personal interests in sake of the cult).

Skeeter

• blondie
    blondie

No change...but his actions are nothing new. Many jws bend the rules. Maybe he thinks it is okay because he is not competing against other jws.

I always wondered how a jw could not be a good business person and not be competitive.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What's wierd is that I was talking with another JW relative (a pioneer) who was "sidewalk witnessing" (with other JWs in the background)...and this second JW relative openly boasted about this other relative, "Yeah, (Name) spent all weekend at the horse show and won several ribbons." It's a small town, and the second JW relative is the BIGGEST blabbermouth in the world. I'm sure it's not a secret that my first relative owns a horse, nor is it now any secret of this competitive show within the JW community. I get the feeling that they are not keeping this quiet.

Anyway, I wonder how long it will be until there is a special needs talk about it....or to see what shakes out.

Skeeter

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

When I was a kid JW (back in the day, a long ways back), competition was limited in sports activities. We could play chess or checkers then, but organized sports in school was considered to be over the line. Baseball, football, wrestling, boxing, basketball (other than simply shooting baskets by yourself), were all considered to be "warlike." Chess was later added to that list because of its history, not that you'd be likely to get killed or injured playing board games.

My father allowed and actually encouraged my brother and I to engage in sports like football, tennis, and baseball. We even played on Little League and school teams. My father loved sports and would not deny us the opportunity to get out and "rough it up" a little. Dad even liked to wrestle and slap fight sometimes - but never punching (except when we weren't expecting it and got blindsided as we walked in a door). My father was very much an exception - even though he remained a faithful JW for over 53 years.

But most JW families forbade their kids from engaging in competitive sports. Even those with a lot of talent could not play much. Sometimes we'd have a softball game or shoot a few hoops if a bunch of JWs got together for a picnic - but I could count all of those times on the fingers of one hand.

The secret words were "competition" and "war-like."

JV

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The horse competition was in "dressage" riding.

Dressage riding has its roots dug deep in war and preparing horses for battle. Many of the moves are modified "fighting" moves and the best horses at it also have a temperment to withstand gunfire without being startled.

The rider must "salute" the judge at the start of the competition. It's part of the test. Don't do it, and you're marked off.

Even the riding ring is marked by letters for "King", "Prince", etc.

The competitions are big, big, big money. Horses cost thousands, trucks/trailers, riding attire & tack, training, etc. This is a big money sport, even for those who try to do it on a shoe string. These competitions are super serious, training all year round, horse trainers, hours and hours at the barn and in the ring. The judge writes down what the rider and horse did right and missed. A numerical score is given, and all the riders/horses in that level are judged. It's not uncommon for judges to meet individually with riders to discuss improvements.

Tell me, is this a sport for a "True Christian"? Much less, for a "True Christian" to compete in?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Theory Thursday 4 - Dressage

BeginnerIntermediateAdvanced

Beginner

So you've got the hang of going up and down with the trot; you can canter -- and even ride a big circle at one end of the ring. And now your coach has told you you're going to be doing a dressage test. Test?!?! What? but it's riding. It's supposed to be fun! No tests.

Ok - let that go. Seriously. The far more important word in that statement was dressage. Scary, intimidating, and boring. Why would anybody want to do that? But it's not, not really. Not any more than XC is insane anyways :) Dressage is figure skating on horseback. Accuracy, grace, controlled power. Seriously impressive when done right!

Dressage at its most basic is training. Training your horse to respond to the subtlest of movements. The sport originated out of training horses for war. You can't fight well with a sword if you have to use the reins to steer! So soldiers trained their horses to respond to the slightest of leg cues. This is eventually what you want to be able to do. Well, minus the sword. I hope!

Less traditional dressage!

At the lower levels it's all about basics. Can you make your horse go, stop and turn. Can you do this seemingly effortlessly? Have you ever heard somebody tell you "riding's not a sport; you just sit there!"? This is because they've only ever seen the pros who are so good, it looks easy. Just like it looks easy to do a double back handspring on a balance beam. A little bit of common sense would tell you it's not. Sadly common sense is not all that common >;-P Have them watch this girl ride her "20m trot circle" :)

Anyways, you want it to look easy. And once you've got the hang of stop/go/turn/easy then you'll get to refine it into GOOD stop/go/turn. And eventually IMPRESSIVE stop/go/turn. But really, the general concept never changes.

Dressage, which is the first of the three eventing phases (more about those another Thursday), is also a sport all in itself. It is ridden in an arena that's either 20mX40m (often seen in low-level eventing dressage, rarely in straight dressage) or 20mX60m (not until Training/Prelim in eventing, but at the beginning of dressage). Those arenas have letters around them:

Easiest way to remember the letters around the side:
    A ll K ing E dwards H orses C an M anage B ig F ences
    For the ones in the middle: X marks the spot (dead center).
    The others read: A fter D ressage G o C rossCountry.

The extra letters read RSVP (counter-clockwise). But most riding schools don't have these so I wouldn't stress about it!

Why are the letters in this order? Nobody knows for sure. They were randomly introduced for the 1920 Olympics. Two standard stories are:

• They were the first letter of the names of cities conquered by the Romans. I read this one and it amused me, but you'd think it'd be relatively easy to verify -- I just haven't had time yet *g*.
    • My fav option: in the old German Court apparently the walls of the stable yard where the soldiers drilled were initially marked with letters indicating where each horse was to be parked to await its rider:
      K = Kaiser/King
      F = Furst/Prince
      P = Pferdknecht/Ostler
      V = Vassal
      E = Edeling/Ehrengast/Guest of Honour
      B = Bannertrager/Standard Bearer
      S = Schzkanzler/Chancellor of Exchequer
      R = Ritter/Knight
      M = Meier/Steward
      H = Hofsmarshall/Lord Chancellor.
      And since the riders schooled and trained there, they began to use the letters and so set them that way when they hosted the Olympics.
  • pontoon
    pontoon

Is his horse baptized, in the truth? If not, it's all OK.

• Bella15
    Bella15

One of the things that made me go hmmm ... was to see some CLIO awards trophy in one of the offices inside the Watchtower Corporation in NYC when I went to visit along with my mother. CLIOs are like the Grammys of the Advertising world. You have to compete with other companies to get one of those. Shunning any kind of competition is just another way to keep the sheep under their control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit