Memories of Hillary - Part I

by Duncan 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

Upfront disclaimer:

I know it’s entitled “Memories of Hillary”, but an awful lot of this post is, in fact, all about me – and our hero doesn’t actually get much of a look-in in this part. But I need to tell the story right, and it starts with me. Besides - it’s only fair. Hillary took up tons of room talking about himself on the thread supposed to be about me. :-)

Late last year I received an e-mail – via a famous UK schoolfriends-reunion website – from someone who had attended the same school as me. The interesting thing about this was that, at school, I had never known him. We only became friends after I had left. It was Hillary_Step, with whom I hadn’t spoken in almost twenty years.

I first became aware of Hillary during the course of that first summer that I pioneered. It was a glorious, long hot summer that year, and I was just coming to terms with the enormity of the change I had wrought in my life, leaving school the way I did.

Some background, then…

Unlike Hillary I had never been “ a lone wolf... who makes friends with difficulty”, my natural inclinations always led me to being one-of-the-lads, a real gang member. In any social group I’ve ever been part of, I tended to be one of the jokers, “the funny one”, even if I say so myself. I guess it comes from wanting to fit in, a desire for approval. You can see where this might cause a problem to a fine young Witness - “But, to be pop – u - lar, nev - er do toil!” and all that.

In fact, I was, I think, a fairly popular member of class, not an obviously dysfunctional, nerdy, wierdo misfit, like so many down the hall. In truth, I think I was probably a pretty good advert for the movement

And I was seriously into The Truth. I mean, I really really believed it all – the whole thing - with a passion, and was entirely unembarrassed about telling schoolfriends all about it. You might recall in a recent post how I remarked about how annoyed I got upon overhearing my mother tell someone that “Duncan still believes it’s the truth, but is too wrapped up in the World these days…” – well, of course, you do hear Witnesses say the exact opposite thing too, after you’ve left them: “Oh, I don’t believe that Duncan ever REALLY had the truth in him” – and, if anything, that makes me even madder. I KNOW what I felt back then.

I should never have left school when I did.

I’m not talking about what a waste it was, about how I missed out on an education and a good job – I took care of that stuff later on, and I did subsequently okay, work-wise.

I mean, if the Watchtower had actually got any sense, they’d had left people like me where they were – a tolerably-high achieving student, popular and well-regarded – influential, even. I hosted class debates on Faith, the Bible, Evolution, and so on (the teachers obviously thought I was pretty good value at that kind of thing); I started a bible study with a close friend, James, and brought him along to the meetings. There was even something called “Scripture Union” – a school society for Bible-reading - I accepted their invitation one evening, and I went along and put them straight, too.

At school, despite being a Witness, I really fitted in. And, while I was at school, I was a pretty good Witness.

But, of course, at every turn I was encouraged down the hall to leave, to pioneer. The End was so close! And not only this – I actually got so I was longing to leave – I just couldn’t wait. How come?

Looking back now, I guess I was pretty stressed-out with the effort of being a Witness (I put in good hours, and was used a lot on the platform, TMS parts, and all those school-witnessing experiences) on top of the work needed to keep up grades in a pretty high-achieving competitive grammar school.

I have a son now, similar age to me back then, who is also at grammar school. A much better student than I ever was too, diligent and hard working, he won the school prize last year for top-achieving boy in the year. The reason I mention him here is to state that I know just how much support and help it takes from parents to keep a lad like him performing at that level - encouragement, taking an interest, help with homework, research, help with presentations and so on and so on.

Back then, for me, I had not only an absence of support, but positive discouragement. Apart from the fact that none of my family had any conception of the demands placed upon a grammar school student (all the other siblings having attended the local-estate secondary school), when I ever did get out some books to study at home, my mum would be around with “ Oh, Duncan – studying the wisdom of men! You know it’s all foolishness in the eyes of Jehovah! Do something else – read up for the bookstudy!” It sounds nuts, I know, but I’m sure there are others here who have had similar experiences.

I just re-read that last paragraph, and I’m sorry if it sounds like I’m simply going for sympathy here – “Oh, Duncan, poor you!” I’m only trying to explain my circumstances at the time, and why I was so looking for an escape from the treadmill of constant schoolwork on top of witness-work. Also, the schoolwork did seem genuinely pointless.

I saw pioneering as not just “an important Life-saving Work in this Time of the End” but also as a release into a more spiritual life, a higher plane, a christian , tranquil stress-free way of life.

So, I left school, earliest legal age I could. Outraged all my teachers, and peers. Endured endless sessions with various concerned teachers, and the Headmaster, all regarded by me as “persecution” for my faith, and all retold down the hall on a Tuesday night as faith-strengthening experiences. At this point, I had no idea who Hillary_Step was, the knowledge he had of my situation or the interest he took in it. He had yet to show up down the hall.

So, now I was a Pioneer! In Jehovah’s full time service!

And, of course, now getting closely involved with Jehovah’s Organisation, that’s when my faith all started going wrong.

And this is when Hillary starts coming in and starts to be important in my life.

Hillary, I promise, in the next post, you’ll have a larger part.

Duncan.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Duncan,

Nice to meet you. The wealth of information about Hilliary had me on the edge of my seat...........

I wasn't raised a jw - so I really can't relate too well. I started studying with them at 18, baptized at 20. Irish Catholic in the usa.

But I enjoy your posts - and Hilliary's.

waiting

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Duncan,

Back then, for me, I had not only an absence of support, but positive discouragement. Apart from the fact that none of my family had any conception of the demands placed upon a grammar school student (all the other siblings having attended the local-estate secondary school), when I ever did get out some books to study at home, my mum would be around with “ Oh, Duncan – studying the wisdom of men! You know it’s all foolishness in the eyes of Jehovah! Do something else – read up for the bookstudy!” It sounds nuts, I know, but I’m sure there are others here who have had similar experiences.
    Boy, is this familiar! Whenever my father spotted me reading a non-JW book, he'd quote, "To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh."

Neither he nor my mother seemed to understand wanting to learn for the pure joy of learning. "Why are you wasting your time with that? You won't need that in the New World."

I tried to channel my interests into subjects that would be useful in the New World. I liked languages--those might be useful in this world as a missionary, but I'd probably never become fluent before the end came. I liked art--how about architecture? I liked math and science--how about civil engineering? Gardening--how about landscape architecture? Nursing--no, that wouldn't be needed. Finance and business--no. Still, to pursue even "acceptable" subjects was viewed as a waste of time. The only truly worthy goals were pioneering, Bethel, or Gilead.

Ginny

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Duncan,

Thank you for your post.

After reading your post and Ginny's reply, I have to say that it never struck me quite as blatantly until I read your thread, the enormous weight of educational negativity that young people raised as JW's have placed on them by their devoted but indoctrinated parents.

I knew your parents well enough to acknowledge that they were gentle people who would have wished nothing but the best for you, yet they stole away some precious moments from your youth by their WTS mindset.

One can rest pleased however, that this continual undermining of the concept of 'worldly' education by the WTS is coming back to haunt them as they, like Hitler and Stalin, made the mistake of eliminating the intellectual talent that they needed to survive.

I am taking a rest from Board life for a while Duncan, so please do let me know by e mail again when Part II is posted. I look forward to it.

As ever, my kindest regards to you -- HS

• TMS
    TMS

a bit of Duncan:

when I ever did get out some books to study at home, my mum would be around with “ Oh, Duncan – studying the wisdom of men! You know it’s all foolishness in the eyes of Jehovah! Do something else – read up for the bookstudy!”
    Educational sabotage?

Over forty years ago, I proudly selected non-academic courses that would be of practical help to my pioneer career: wood shop, metal shop, boy's home economics, automotive engines. All these classes were against the grain of my natural aptitude.

Unlike Duncan, I never recovered secularly, but still find myself in an entry level job just eighteen months from retirement.

Two small reminders from "All Those Years Ago":

1. notes in red on a homework assignment by my English teacher, Mr. Ewoldt: "TMS, this is another one of those assignments, that in retrospect, you will wish you had put effort into."

2. 1962 Theocratic Ministry School Schedule: 31 talks are underlined, meaning that I volunteered to give them on "short notice", usually ten minutes or so.

TMS

• Prisca
    Prisca

Duncan,

Your words about the discouragement you received when trying to do your uni studies rang true with me. Not that I did go to uni - I wasn't allowed to go, and if I had I would not have received any financial or moral support. Plus I would have had my family say much the same to me.

It's a shame that so many were discouraged to attend further education. What a waste.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

After reading Prisca's post, I'm confused.

I didn't think Duncan was talking about university, but what is known in the U.S. as high school--grades 9-12, which you attend here at around ages 14 through 18. High school is free here unless you attend a private school.

I just peeked at Hillary_step's "Memories of Duncan - Part 1."

The English Master, referring to Duncan by name and extolling his virtues as an exceptional student, then went on to mystify us all with the news that Duncan was leaving school to become a window washer and to work full time for his ‘Jehovah’ religion. He was barely fifteen.

from http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=20728&site=3

Does the school system work differently in Australia? Is high school called "uni"?

I bring this up because what is sad to me is that it wasn't just college and university that were frowned upon when I was young. Education of any sort was suspect, especially if it had no immediate practical application in JW life, even at public school.

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? . . . For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. . . . but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong," (1 Corinthians 1:20, 25, 27)

Ginny

• Duncan
    Duncan

Ginny - you're right. It was the US equivalent of high school, I was 15 when I left - the earliest legal age you could leave school in those days.

Duncan.

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Duncan, Hillary & TMS...I see you three on similar threads. All of you are great storytellers! Seems you’ve had a long history with the WT and enjoy reminiscing about your JW glory days.

Would you mind sharing what made someone so “faithful” to the organization…one who had the ‘truth’ so imbedded inside of you….change?

If you have already detailed your exit…maybe you could direct me to the thread?

As a third generation JW and former Pioneer…I’m just curious. Maybe I can find some comforting commonality.

Respectfully,

Wick

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hello Smoldering.

Hillary told a large part of his story, and mine too, in a 3-part series called "Memories of Duncan". I'm kinda doing the same thing here. There'll be 4 of these "Hillary" posts, 2nd one - with a little luck - later on today.

Can't speak for TMS. You can do a search on an individual, though, by clicking "Members" and reading all their threads.

Duncan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit