question about the memorial

by outsmartthesystem 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Thus far I've read some very compelling arguments regarding the Memorial/Passover being on Nisan 15 and not 14. But I do have a question. Why does Numbers 28:16 seem to indicate plainly that the passover occured on the 14th? surely I am missing something, no?

• stillin
    stillin

this one is out of my league. I went to the memorial because it was an annual observance of Christ's sacrificial death and because he said to "keep doing it in remembrance." I wouldn't care if it was totally at the wrong time of year. I think that, if the scripture in Numbers unequivically established the correctness of the JW position, you won't get much response to your question here. :)

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Technically, Passover began on 14 Nisan. The lamb was to be slaughtered on the 14th. The celebration went on into the night and was eaten after sundown. The Jewish days were sundown to sundown, so the eating was on 15 Nisan. Next morning started the 7-day festival, which shares the same calendar date as the night before. This is where some probably get confused; they may see it as 2 different days. Modern American Jews don't slaughter their own lambs, so they just start it on 15 Nisan, after sundown.

I go into some detail on this subject in my paper. I don't know if you've already read it. If you have, I might have to adjust some things in it that aren't clear.

• Inkie
    Inkie

WontLeave: You must remember that the "evening" of any given day is the "beginning" of the day for Israel. Thus, "sundown" is the "beginning" of the day, as well as the "evening" of that day. The lamb was thus slaughtered in the "evening" at the "beginning" of the day, not the end of the day. Therefore, Passover began on Nisan 14, at the beginning/evening of that day, eaten through the night, until "morning." Just like Genesis reads: And evening and morning were the first day, etc., etc., etc.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@Inkie

I know some Bible versions translate the Hebrew as "in the evening" or "at even", but you might want to take a look at my paper for clarification. It goes into some detail on this very subject.

• Inkie
    Inkie

WL: I am unable to access your paper because I get an error message when I click on your link to your paper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit