The "Ten Toes"

by Quendi 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

Hello All,

I talked to my Witness friend who attended the district convention over the weekend about the program. We have been in constant and close communication during these six years that have passed since my disfellowshipping. He enjoyed the program. I expected him to say that. I asked what stood out to him. He said the talk about social networks was quite interesting. The speaker chose not to rail against how "evil" these things are, although he did mention the dangers of "sexting". Instead, he took the high road, telling the delegates that they should use caution in disclosing information on them. Anything put out into cyberspace cannot be taken back, so social network users should be circumspect about what they choose to reveal about themselves, their families, their friends, and other associates. I don't know if this topic was handled in this fashion at other district conventions, but this approach was a refreshing change. It is one I have always advocated.

Then I asked him about the "ten toes" of the image in Daniel chapter 4 since I knew the Sunday afternoon talk would deal with that. His understanding is that the toes themselves were not particularly significant. Rather, the emphasis was put on the fragile mix of iron and clay. The Society thinks this indicates the politcal nature of the Anglo-American world power. It doesn't behave in as dictatorial a fashion as the Roman Empire did because it is constrained by the nature of the governments that control it. Evidently, a democratic system operates in a less harsh manner than an autocratic one. At least that is the understanding my friend got from the speaker's words.

As for when the stone will strike the image and destroy it, the Society still maintains this will happen in the near future. Well, no surprise there. However, my friend said that the audience was told that the Anglo-American world power will work in close concert with the United Nations to destroy "false religion" and this development would take place very soon. Once again, everyone was warned to stay alert and keep on the watch for this momentous event. I thought it interesting that my friend didn't sound very excited about the talk. Maybe he is beginning to tire of the cry of "Wolf!" that he has been hearing for many years now. He does want to further discussion about the talk, however, and I am hoping this will give me an opportunity to turn his mind in a different direction.

Quendi

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi Quendi . . .

His understanding is that the toes themselves were not particularly significant. Rather, the emphasis was put on the fragile mix of iron and clay. The Society thinks this indicates the politcal nature of the Anglo-American world power. It doesn't behave in as dictatorial a fashion as the Roman Empire did because it is constrained by the nature of the governments that control it. Evidently, a democratic system operates in a less harsh manner than an autocratic one.

It has become increasingly obvious that the recent focus on the image of Dan 4 has been no different from what has been taught for the last umpteen decades. I remember the exact same information in the "Truth" book of the 70's and early 80's, the PE book later that decade, as well as the Daniel book after that. Nothing new . . . just a presenting of the same old stuff.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Rather, the emphasis was put on the fragile mix of iron and clay. The Society thinks this indicates the political nature of the Anglo-American world power.

What a stupid ideological thought to say something that was built by complacent ignorant ancients that it has some other meaning into the

future other than what it was originally built upon. I forgot how the JWS/WTS relinquish into stupidity and then sell it to the inquisitive masses.

Anything put out into cyberspace cannot be taken back, so social network users should be circumspect about what they choose to reveal about themselves, their families, their friends, and other associates.

Thats common knowledge among most intelligent careful minded people, you don't need a degree in quantum physics to know that.

Or maybe this is a carefully managed insinuation to stay away from web sites that know of the lies and corruption of the Watchtower Corporation.

• Gayle
    Gayle

although he did mention the dangers of "sexting".

no great words of wisdom about that by JWs,,people can hear that or read that advice on CNN and all news everywhere now-a-days. Ha-ha..

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This is a change...sort of. It's a flip flop. They believed the toes were significant and unique from the rest of the feet from the 50s until 1978. They believed the toes were not significantly unique from the rest of the feet from 78 until 1985. They believed the toes were significant and unique from 85 until this summer's convention. And now they've flopped (or have they flipped?) back to the 78-85 "light." They're presenting it as noo lite because they figure nobody will do any research to find that they've had this understanding before, since it was only for seven years.

See this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/211705/1/Feet-and-Toes-Research-and-Noo-Lite

• Quendi
    Quendi

I think the only reason the Society didn't rail against "apostate" social networks or websites is that by drawing attention to them many Witnesses would want to see what the fuss is all about. And if they do that then that would create more problems for the WTS than it would solve. It is the same approach the organization takes with books like Crisis of Conscience, In Search of Christian Freedom, The Gentile Times Reconsidered, etc. If these things are never mentioned or given attention, the rank-and-file may not hear of them at all.

As for the ten toes "flip flop", I think Mad Sweeney is right to say the organization is counting on very few people doing the research to see this is no new development but merely a reembracing of an older position. Besides, the whole idea is not to share anything informative or enlightening from the Scriptures anymore. The goal is to keep the membership drinking the kool-aid and coming back for more.

Quendi

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think the leaders of the WTS. should be hauled off to a mental health institute for an investigative examination.

Its quite obvious that the WTS. try their darnest to support their End Times doctrine through any means of exploitation,

whether its from the bible or any outside bits of selective information.

In essence I guess you can say thats their impressed responsibility in their pertaining roles within the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit