TIKKUN OLAM, Repairing the World

by designs 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

One of the things I think I missed most in the decades I was a JW was not being involved in what Judaism calls Tikkun Olam or repairing the world. The most basic of things humans can do for each other and for this earth. We see needs and problems and we should respond- Hunger, Poverty, the Environment whatever the need we as humans are called on by our humanity to fill. It can transcend politics and religious ideals that divide us.

Rabbi Larry Seidman asks the question; 'What's important for us in the future'. Can we share in the goals for our future while we engage in our differences.

What are your thoughts.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I think you have an incorrect perspective. The most important thing you can do to show love on behalf of your neighbors is sharing the good news of the kingdom as explained by the WTBTS via such spiritual gems as the Watchtower & Awake Magazines. Or even the self-congratulatory biographical DVD's Jehovah's Witnesses, Faith In Action provide more encouragement than anything mankind today can offer. I mean sure, people have contributed good on behalf of their fellow man, but what they've contributed is only temporary. The Kingdom will be forever, and its right around the corner. See the Devil is tricky, as he'd try to make you believe that what Jonas Salk, Martin Luther King, and Mother Teresa did were great acts of humanity, but their contributions pale in comparison to all that Theodore Jaracz contributed on behalf of his fellow man.

• designs
    designs

I forgot Jaracz was up for a Noble Peace Prize wasn't he........

• agent zero
    agent zero

yeah, jw's don't engage in any humanitarian help other than for the aid in reconstruction of their own kingdom halls. they feel the best help they can offer anyone else is the "life saving" preaching work. there are rare instances where they offered help to the general population, but then the emphasis is completely on "giving a fine witness"

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yaaah, I am all for that.

Play with a grandchild. Tell them how smart/talented/kind they are.

Connect with the homeless. http://www.projecthomelessconnect.com/

Plant an oak tree. http://www.laparks.org/dos/parks/elysianPK/pdf/3A.pdf

Pick up litter. I find a lot of loose change that way.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

My philosophy: Do what I can to help other people today and if the world ends tomorrow, who cares. I am involved with several councils in my town that focus on lifting people out of homelessness and poverty, including Project Homeless Connect and Interfaith Hospitality Network, and I can see the difference we make every day. These organizations work on long-lasting sustainable solutions, while relieving immediate needs, ie food, clothing, and shelter, as well. It is ridiculous to think that it is more important and 'life saving' to hand a starving man a religious magazine, even if it weren't full of crap, than to feed him while teaching him how to feed himself and his family. People have to have their lower physical needs met before they can focus on higher spiritual needs. God gave me the compassion to want to help and the intelligence to figure out how to help. I would be wasting His gifts to me if I did not work to repair my world. Perhaps God's plan is to let US bring peace to the world using the gifts He has already given to us.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Works for me.

Tutoring, mentoring, counseling, praising, encouraging, consoling, ... the list could go on and on.

Any or all of us can do the above.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit